Russian Tortoise Vomiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittertortoise

5 Year Member
I've had my Russian desert tortoise Miska for over a year now she about 5 years old. Never had any problems with her always gave her a varied diet of greens and flowers. Yesterday she vomited for the first time. I had given her a banana for the first time and I'm thinking this must be it. I gave her some banana, kale, and carrots. She's never vomited before and it is continuing since I got home from work until I'm sleeping and I woke up at 4am to see her vomit more. I've been reading on tortoise vomiting and it's very bad so I'm very concerned. If anyone can give me advice that would be helpful. Maybe she over stuffed herself and that's why she's puking? Russians tend to over eat but don't want to under react. I'm waiting to see if it continues and then take her to a vet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 43

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Looks like this is sort of a repeat post of the following thread:

"Russian Tortoise Vomiting"

However, it is nice to see some more information and a different photo of your tortoise. Again, this is no Russian (Testudo horsfieldii), but rather a North American desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii or G. morafkai). Neither species is adapted to eating bananas. Testudo species should be eating mostly leafy greens, and Gopherus species should be eating mostly grasses. Both can handle some juicier fruits once a month (like tomatoes, for example). Redfoots can eat bananas every once in a while, but not grassland species like Russians or desert tortoises.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome hope your tortoise is doing better

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think it is a desert tortoise. The front leg scales are too smooth and the carapace coloration/pattern is incorrect for a desert tortoise.

As to being a duplicate thread...this on is an "Introduction" thread and all one need to do here is welcome the new member.

glittertortoise

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I don't think it is a desert tortoise. The front leg scales are too smooth and the carapace coloration/pattern is incorrect for a desert tortoise.

As to being a duplicate thread...this on is an "Introduction" thread and all one need to do here is welcome the new member.

Yea I wasn't sure how to figure the app at first and posted this one but didn't see it so I did it again in the right thread sorry for the confusion!

And if she's not a desert what could she be?

Status
Not open for further replies.