Russian tortoise vomiting after hibernation help

Charliepistachio

Location (City and/or State)
CA
My tortoise is almost 9 years old. She hibernates in the winters for usually 1-3 months depending on temps, weights and scheduling.

I took her fridge temps yesterday and they were at 49 F which is much higher than I’d like. Her fridge has struggled to maintain a temp below 45 this whole time(think it needs to be replaced). She has not lost 10% of body weight in the last 2 months but she’s close to it. This morning I took her out to weigh her and she was clearly awake, that plus the higher temp I decided to so turn on her lights and woke her up.

She normally eats within 20 min of waking. Instead she sat like a lump for over an hour… and then she vomited clear liquid (looked like water) all over herself.

I gave her a luke warm bath and observed her drinking and stretching. She was curious and observing her surroundings.

Now back in her terrarium she is again just laying under the basking light unmoving.

—info— I’m pregnant and have Covid. We don’t have a reptile vet in this area- closest is over 4 hr drive away. Vet is a great suggestion, it’s not going to happen though. (Moved for work, I can’t even get a doctor here, looking to leave asap for medical and vet care. I know it’s not good)

—question: has anyone ever heard of or seen this before? Vomiting water on what should be an empty stomach?? Any suggestions or ideas? I’m going to give her a pumpkin bath in a bit but I’m trying to leave her be to warm up and regulate. She’s been awake now for 5 hours, not moving, not interested in food.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise is almost 9 years old. She hibernates in the winters for usually 1-3 months depending on temps, weights and scheduling.

I took her fridge temps yesterday and they were at 49 F which is much higher than I’d like. Her fridge has struggled to maintain a temp below 45 this whole time(think it needs to be replaced). She has not lost 10% of body weight in the last 2 months but she’s close to it. This morning I took her out to weigh her and she was clearly awake, that plus the higher temp I decided to so turn on her lights and woke her up.

She normally eats within 20 min of waking. Instead she sat like a lump for over an hour… and then she vomited clear liquid (looked like water) all over herself.

I gave her a luke warm bath and observed her drinking and stretching. She was curious and observing her surroundings.

Now back in her terrarium she is again just laying under the basking light unmoving.

—info— I’m pregnant and have Covid. We don’t have a reptile vet in this area- closest is over 4 hr drive away. Vet is a great suggestion, it’s not going to happen though. (Moved for work, I can’t even get a doctor here, looking to leave asap for medical and vet care. I know it’s not good)

—question: has anyone ever heard of or seen this before? Vomiting water on what should be an empty stomach?? Any suggestions or ideas? I’m going to give her a pumpkin bath in a bit but I’m trying to leave her be to warm up and regulate. She’s been awake now for 5 hours, not moving, not interested in food.
I usually leave them at room temp for a couple of days with light, but no heat. Then I put the heat on a timer for them. I don't try to feed them for at least three days and I don't soak until day two at the earliest.

I've never had one vomit water before. Don't know what that is. I'd slow down and give your tortoise some time to wake up. Go easy with the heat and the soaks.

Charliepistachio

CA
I usually leave them at room temp for a couple of days with light, but no heat. Then I put the heat on a timer for them. I don't try to feed them for at least three days and I don't soak until day two at the earliest.

I've never had one vomit water before. Don't know what that is. I'd slow down and give your tortoise some time to wake up. Go easy with the heat and the soaks.
Ok! Never had this issue before. This is all so weird to me. I just tried to check on her again and she was kind of aggressive? Which I’ve never seen. Clearly somethings not right. I’ll turn the heat off and let her rest. Thank you!

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

I am so sorry to hear your dilemma!!!
I thin soaks would really help.
I hope someone here can help!
If I don’t see someone chime in soon I’m gonna find them.
You poor dear!
With pregnancy and COVID alone I can’t even imagine how you are doing it all!!!
Don’t worry I think your tort will be ok though…
First we have to find you a vet. Maybe a virtual visit?
Second we have to help with the COVID!!!
Please listen to the advice that people on here give you for your tort. They have seen and been through it all.
I will check in on you a lot too.
I am there for you in spirit and rooting you through it all!!!!
🙏🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🌹🌹🌹🌹

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Strange, I think it must be linked with the fridge temp and the change in location making it vomit. Best to take it slowly in a very slow controlled pace. Tom's steps are applicable. From now on handle with gloves to stop any transfer of covid, provide shallow warm soaks every other day, let it bask, provide fresh food and monitor. They are tough shell warriors so hope you both get hrought it. Wishing you a speedy covid recovery. Once your better get rid of the fridge.