My tortoises vomited 4 times!

Besh1994

Location (City and/or State)
Saudi Arabia
Hello tortoise community..

I’m so worried because my Spur-thighted tortoise with the size around (15*20cm) had just vomited 4 times, it was 5-10 minuets between each vomit!
The first two vomiting was undigested food, and the last two was just water.

I’m really concerned of what could be the reason for this and what should i do to make him get better? :(

nicoleann2214

NY
Hello tortoise community..

I’m so worried because my Spur-thighted tortoise with the size around (15*20cm) had just vomited 4 times, it was 5-10 minuets between each vomit!
The first two vomiting was undigested food, and the last two was just water.

I’m really concerned of what could be the reason for this and what should i do to make him get better? :(
@Tom

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I'm really not sure, I'm gonna wait until some more experienced people come. But what is the substrate, what do you feed her, what did you feed her last?

Besh1994

Saudi Arabia
I'm really not sure, I'm gonna wait until some more experienced people come. But what is the substrate, what do you feed her, what did you feed her last?
The substrate is shredded wood, and I feed him lettuce, cucumber and Rocca

Last food was rocca.
Also, he was walking today outside of his enclosure.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
The substrate is shredded wood, and I feed him lettuce, cucumber and Rocca

Last food was rocca.
Also, he was walking today outside of his enclosure.
Maybe outside of the enclosure he ate something he shouldn't. I would soak a lot more now and hopefully he will pass whatever has been bothering him.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You wrote that he was walking today outside of his enclosure. Has your tort done this before? The rocca looks like the relative of the dandelion so the foods you are feeding are almost all correct- the cucumber would depend on which species of tortoise you have. The key here is to figure out how your tort could have eaten something toxic
1. Found something doing a walk about indoors on your floors
2. Do they go outside and if so what is their setup- shade, water bowl, hides, plants
3. The food could have been sprayed- growers do it to keep off bugs, markets do it to preserve, and if you picked it someone else may have sprayed it to kill it. Washing food prior to feeding is very important due to all the pesticides/preservatives that are used now.
4. What is your setup- Tank size, light source, heat source, UVB source-these 3 should be seperate not all in one bulbs- substrate, temps, humidity, and what type and age of your tortoise
5. Soaking-how often, water temp, type of water (is it potable or not), length of soak

This may take you a few minutes, but please the more info you can give us helps us help you and your tort!

etreal

Monterrey, Mexico.
I am not an expert, but check for parasites. A test to a sample of poop can determine if it has protozoa, worms or other parasites.
The only time my leopard, Jacinta has been to the vet it was diagnosed with protozoa infestation. She was vomiting and with diarrhea.
Doses of an specific liquid medicine to fight protozoa for some days cured it. That happened after 15 years with me, not as a hatchling.
I hope your tortoise will get well soon!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Was your tort outside? Full sun? Does it have a nice shaded “cool” area?

Temps in Riyadh are pretty baking now, I know ‘cause I lived there a few years....but it’s hot. If your tort diesnt have shade, it might be getting sunstroke

49982A4B-9E1D-40FE-8360-5DCAE4253993.jpeg