rt tank size

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi guys I just wanted to Know the tank size requirements of an adult russian tortoise, my tortoise Bella currently lives in a 3 1/2 foot by 2 1/2 foot tank. all advice is welcome, thanks in advance :)

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
thanks for the advice I live in michigan and it is now almost warm enough to let my tortoise outside.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
You'll have a hard time creating the micro-climates that a tortoise needs in a tank that is 3.5x 2.5 ft. RTs walk miles daily in the wild, and walking aids digestion - it is so important that you provide the space they need.

I recommend building your own, or asking a friend to build something for you. Glass tanks aren't ideal for many reasons, and they are expensive. You'll be able to make something that is much bigger, for less money (and you can always sell the tank you have on Craigslist, and use the money that gets you to buy materials!)

If you go to my blog, I have several examples with pictures of both a simple and a 'fancy' tortoise table set-up. This forum also has an excellent 'enclosures' group where people have posted pictures both for basic, easy-to-make and more complicated enclosures. :)

tortoise_man1 said:
thanks for the advice I live in michigan and it is now almost warm enough to let my tortoise outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.