Tank size

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineapple

5 Year Member
I know bigger is better but what size indoor tank do you recommend for a 2-4 yr old russian tort? My guy currently is 1.5 yrs old has a 20 gal tank but spends a lot of time outdoors in a large enclosure. We live in Tucson so the weather is great pretty much year round.
With an upcoming move overseas we will lose the outdoor space and I need to buy a larger tank, suggestions?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
41 feet by 83 feet....exactly ...:p, okay just funnin ya...

Overseas, have you checked what is required to ship him there and then back again when you return?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Absolute minimum would be 4' x 2', but I would suggest more along the lines of 4' x 4'.

pineapple

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input. I am looking into what it will cost to take him overseas and costs for returning to the US. It is VERY difficult to find accurate information.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
What country are you moving to? Most European countries require a CITES certificate. I am not sure about other countries... I wouldn't buy a tank here (especially since aquariums aren't ideal anyway, for many reasons - I am glad your tortoise got to spend lots of time outside!)... I would wait until you are over there, and get a bookshelf, flip it onto its back, remove the shelves, line it with a tarp (or pond liner or something) and then you'll have a nice big tort table. :) Also make sure he has all the lights you need... UV and heat specifically. MOST countries will have something like that available.

pineapple said:
Thanks for the input. I am looking into what it will cost to take him overseas and costs for returning to the US. It is VERY difficult to find accurate information.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
What an exciting move!

I don't know if you'll be able to bring your tortoise... I hope someone else can tell you more? You might need to have a good friend care for him for a while until you get back?

pineapple said:
We are moving to South Korea.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think you are going to be able to take your tortoise back and forth, unfortunately. I like a minimum of 4x8' for an indoor adult Russian enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.