Russian Tortoise Help Needed

zetachi

Location (City and/or State)
New York
We have a 1 1/2 yo Russian Tortoise that we took over about 6 months ago from a relative that could no longer care for it. She is presently living in a 20 gallon tank, which I assume is made for reptiles. Its got a plug for heating the tank and we have a heated rock in it as well. we also have a uv light. We think that she really needs a bigger enclosure. One of our issues is space. We live in an Apt (with 3 cats) so there is not a lot of room for large enclosures. I'm thinking of getting a 40 gallon tank or 50 Gallon rubbermaid as an upgrade but any advice would surely be welcomed and appreciated as we are not really experts in any shape or form on this subject.

Thanks in advance Doug

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
The bigger the better. I have a Russian in a 50 gallon rubbermaid trough as his home. So far he likes it and it is easy to heat and light up. It works for me, but I am sure there are others that may have better ideas. It certainly would be better than the tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have a 1 1/2 yo Russian Tortoise that we took over about 6 months ago from a relative that could no longer care for it. She is presently living in a 20 gallon tank, which I assume is made for reptiles. Its got a plug for heating the tank and we have a heated rock in it as well. we also have a uv light. We think that she really needs a bigger enclosure. One of our issues is space. We live in an Apt (with 3 cats) so there is not a lot of room for large enclosures. I'm thinking of getting a 40 gallon tank or 50 Gallon rubbermaid as an upgrade but any advice would surely be welcomed and appreciated as we are not really experts in any shape or form on this subject.

Thanks in advance Doug
Hi Doug. Please read this:

Questions and comments are welcome! :)

zetachi

New York
The bigger the better. I have a Russian in a 50 gallon rubbermaid trough as his home. So far he likes it and it is easy to heat and light up. It works for me, but I am sure there are others that may have better ideas. It certainly would be better than the tank.

Issue I have with the rubbermaid is the 3 cats :( would need some type of cat proof lid on it.