Robberies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa
Yesterday, my next-door neighbor and neighbor down the street were robbed during the day! I was at home as it was taking place and I feel sick! I guess they hopped the fence and broke in through the backyard.

Needless to say, I brought my torts/turts in and made sure to set my alarms. Ugh...

_________
~ Shelly ~

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Not a dog person. If I get a dog, it would be a boxer, but I'd fear it chewing up my shelled babies. Haha.

_________
~ Shelly ~

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
I have a pit but he's the biggest wimp in the world. What you can do though is get one of those signs at Home Depot that say along the lines of "beware of dog"

Lol about the geese...
I never thought of that

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I used to live in a fancy schmanzy part of Los Angeles, in Hancock Park, and our area got hit hard by professionals for a period of time. Some artwork was stolen and a lot of the obvious, jewelry. I was the only one on my little street, with the two big dogs and the goose in the backyard that wasn't. The LAPD coppers told everyone at a community meeting that fancy alarm systems do not work to avert the pro thieves but dogs, and in my case a territorial goose, do. We found a piece of pant pocket fabric by the gate around that time and the PD think the dogs, or the goose attacked a butt. I was not broken in to. My stuff wasn't as investment worthy as my neighbors so it would have been a waste of time for them anyhow, LOL.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Geese are scary! We've recently had a vehicle stolen, a Rottweiler puppy will be joining our fam in October, the alarm system installed sometime before that.

The dog is simply an addition we've wanted for a while, he'll look intimidating, and sound intimidating, but be just another one of our boys!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Burglary occurs during the day hours--when most folks are at work.

Home invasions usually occur during the night hours....

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Geese are great, back in South Africa it was very common to have geese with your dogs(terriers, like spot the dog from target, so blanked on their proper name) the geese made a huge ruckus and attacked the intruder and the dogs helped as well.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
I live in Mesa, AZ.

I am a stay at home Mom. Scares me to think robberies were taking place while I was sitting here and it could've been me!!

_________
~ Shelly ~

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One of the company owners that I work for uses geese to guard her elephants. The geese make a huge ruckus any time anyone or anything comes around and they definitely bite. I had to go in to clean the pen with a trash can lid in one hand and a rake in the other. Not worried at all about the 10,000 pound elephant smashing me, just worried about getting pinched by the darn geese!

I train protection dogs for a living. I always have 3-5 of them around at any given time. My house has never been robbed. Service people are always warned to leave the dogs alone and sometimes we have "accidental" close calls with suspicious people anywhere near my house. Most sales people don't even get half way to the door bell, before turning around and deciding its not worth it.

Dogs are a great deterrent to crime, but no single strategy should be relied upon. Home security should have many layers to it.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I have 5 dogs and the best one for deterring people is my little terrier! He makes such a ruckus of any little tiny thing...Turkeys or emus are also some mean birds that do well for guard animals. Or a male goat.

Tom want another coupld dogs to train? I have a terrier and boxer pit that are obnoxious! Trade you a tortoise for it! :p

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Robberies

ascott said:
Burglary occurs during the day hours--when most folks are at work.

Home invasions usually occur during the night hours....

What's the difference? I thought they were the same thing? Someone breaks in and robs you, right?

A lot of burglaries during the summer happen in broad daylight, when home owners are in their backyard. someone walks right in the front door and steals your stuff... Always lock your door when you're out in the yard!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Shelly; Get some outdoor speakers and a recording of a BIG Dog barking or lots of Dogs barking. When you see unknown cars or people in the neigborhood, blast your Dog recording.. LOL it could work, and you wouldn't have to worry about your shell babies or cleaning up Dog Doo. There's a guy here that plays a Mountain Lion recording in his backyard to keep the coyotes away.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
home invasion is different from burglary in that its perpetrators have a violent intent apart from the unlawful entry itself

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: RE: Robberies

TigsMom said:
Shelly; Get some outdoor speakers and a recording of a BIG Dog barking or lots of Dogs barking. When you see unknown cars or people in the neigborhood, blast your Dog recording.. LOL it could work, and you wouldn't have to worry about your shell babies or cleaning up Dog Doo. There's a guy here that plays a Mountain Lion recording in his backyard to keep the coyotes away.

Hahahaha

_________
~ Shelly ~

Kameo37

5 Year Member
I agree...I.was chased by many a goose as a kid! Those things are vicious! Swans are, too. Beautiful, but terrifying! Donkeys and llamas are supposed to make pretty good guards, too...for those with some land.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
I have two geese. They are bad to the bone yard protection first class. While they are not huggable, they are gentle, so safe for my kids to be around. If anything enters the back yard, I hear it, even in a dead sleep. The neighbors have been kind enough to tolerate occasional ruckus.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Worse then the geese were the two old Tom turkeys we had.... of course they are not big for the noise factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.