So Sad, Please Knock On My Door.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Just needed to rant a moment. I woke up this am to several neighbors calling and knocking on my door. It seems someone brought a Sulcata and dumped him or her in one of my outside pens.:eek: The tortoise was found in front of a school that's across from my house, Ran over in the street. :mad: It was such a senseless death.:( I've never turned down , damnit; I don't think I've ever turned ANY animal/reptile that needed help. Why would they not just knock on my door. Whoever brought it put it in an unfinished pen during the night last night. It walked right away. It literally made me sick to my stomache. They left a dome light with a regular 60watt household bulb in it and a heating pad hanging on gate of fence. :mad: I'm still upset. Just had to vent. I really wish I knew what went on in people's minds sometimes, Its so sad . The poor thing , I felt horrible. ( END OF RANT )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wait - are you saying they put the tortoise in your uncompleted pen, it escaped and was run over and killed in the street? Oh man - that's awful. I'm so sorry.

I've had people toss water turtles over the fence into my pond before. Reason I know is because I only have a certain number of FEMALE RES in there and once in a while I'll find a male. Last year I found a really big Western Painted turtle in there.

I guess your sulcata's owner was afraid you might refuse to take it. Darned people anyway.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
That's a darn shame! I'm so sorry this happened to you and the tortoise.
A senseless death!! :(

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Yes that's exactly what happened. Its really upsetting. Everyone around here knows I would have taken it. I just wish people were more responsible. Poor Torts didn't ask to be here. And I was in and out last night till about 3:30am because someone donated a lot of food to my tortoises and I was literally unloading boxes full of turnips and collards and some things I don't feed like cabbage till really late all my lights were on. I could NEVER do that to any type of living breathing anything. Just to put it out and drive off, it baffles me how ANYONE COULD DO THAT. I'm just Thankful, Because it looked like it was immediately killed. So it didn't lay there and suffer.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Regret to have read what happened. No need to be so harsh!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Mindless stupidity.
I'm so very sorry.
And of course you end up feeling bad for something that is in no way your fault.
Life stinks, sometimes.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks Everyone, My husband went and picked up the remains. I wanted to at least give her/him a proper burial. And we are completing the pen tomorrow so this Never happens again. @Tidgy's Dad I couldn't help feeling responsible, I kept thinking to myself off and on all day " you should have finished that pen already, But I know that since I didn't know it was there it's not my fault. Still had me feeling terrible for a long time yesterday. So far this morning is starting out much better than yesterday. ☺

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks Everyone, My husband went and picked up the remains. I wanted to at least give her/him a proper burial. And we are completing the pen tomorrow so this Never happens again. @Tidgy's Dad I couldn't help feeling responsible, I kept thinking to myself off and on all day " you should have finished that pen already, But I know that since I didn't know it was there it's not my fault. Still had me feeling terrible for a long time yesterday. So far this morning is starting out much better than yesterday. ☺
Very sorry :( to hear that you're feeling guilty. Believe me, it was NOT your fault. After all, we are human beings. Please, please try to relax.

JennK

I know of some rescues that have created a "drop off pen" just because of instances like this. They put a light by it so people could see at night and they rescued multiple types of animals so they had different types of cages out there and a donation box. It worked out great! While they still received the drop offs there were no longer any deaths due to stupidity.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
@JennK That seems like an awesome idea. I have a donation box already and several types of pens. I work with (wildlife rescue here also) I just never thought of a pen specifically for drop offs though. I feel as though if it would or could save a life why not. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@JennK That seems like an awesome idea. I have a donation box already and several types of pens. I work with (wildlife rescue here also) I just never thought of a pen specifically for drop offs though. I feel as though if it would or could save a life why not. Thanks
So sorry. It is very hard to see a senseless death like that. Even though they just dropped it off and left, at least they did try to drop it off to someone they must have known would take care of it. As much as I too, would want to slap them upside their heads for their stupidity, at least they did have good intentions, they just panned out sadely wrong.
I love the drop off pen idea, I was thinking the same thing.

JennK

I thought that I might suggest it. While it would take up extra space and even more funds it would at least create a safe zone for any drop offs. I know that Texas nights can sometime get deceptively co,d, so you ,isn't want to add some sort of a heater for the occasion that it is needed. People just don't use their brains