Not open for further replies.

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arlington TX.
N2TORTS said:
matt41gb said:
N2TORTS said:
your right its not an IV drug .....never said it was! And a Doctors dosage was told and giving to me by a DOCTOR. I also have had MANY DOCTORS... who dont know $$$T ! ... They do trial and error just as one can do at home ... with either positive or negative results. I dont promote * do it your selfers* .. when it comes to Meds and health care ...but I also think Vets/ docs alike .. scam the heck out of the common folk , and honest why should I pay somone to sign a piece of paper for a dam prescripiton, after a 30 second visit ( when I knew what was wrong in the first place) for a misley 250 bucks......( $ 80 office visit ??? HA HAHA ) .... and the animal ends up dying anyhow. I know one of the best in the business Iam sure you've herd of him. Dr. TOM GREEK . Also my father ya might want to look im up ... Dr. Pops dosnt deal with torts... but people, including bio chemistry , microbio .. ya know that groovy stuff...! So .. I have a little clue .. about what iam talking about . I was just answering a simple question to a forum member.
JD~

Wow, JD. From all of your previous posts, I always thought you were a great guy. I'm really confused at your attitude towards me and Doc. You seem to get threatened when people know more than you do. That's not a healthy way to live your life my friend. Dr. Todd was giving you great advice, and it's awesome that he is willing to share that advice with us for FREE! Show some respect, man up and apologize to him for being so rude.

-Matt

-Matt

PS ..MAYBE YOU SHOULD OFFER FREE**** SERVICE FOR FORUM MEMEBERS!

JD, I find this response a bit rude. Dr. Todd was being very nice in his response to you. He was nothing but respectful, and you fired back hotly at him. I don't get it, and I personally don't appreciate it. I'm sure Dr. Todd doesn't either. He did not belittle you in any way, shape, or form, so I think you owe him an apology for sure.

-Matt

Matt I honestly dont care what you think ...and an apology why? If he wants to give his advice he could do so , or does that cost an office visit ? I dont know him , he dosnt know me ... either do you for that matter . Because I dont post a DVM after my name , or belong to your RF fan club, you really should stick to your own debates.I DID not fire back or belittle anyone, I simply answered a question ...and if you or DOC check up on it... its 5mg.... you and others in here are not the only ones who raise RF's within the US.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
MATT RE READ THIS

No offense JD, but this post is exactly why we should not be posting dosages on the forum because almost nothing in this post is accurate. Baytril and other antibiotics (for the most part) are dosed on a milligram per kilogram basis and then at an hourly or daily(multi-daily) interval.- Baytril is given once daily in many species and twice daily in many others. * THATS A GIVEN AS WITH DIFF SPECIES / WIEGHTS....ECT.

There is an injectable form that was designed to be given IM (intramuscularly) but can and is given IV in serious cases and given under very specific conditions and then only if monitored closely. * EXTREME CONDITIONS I DONT THINK THE POSTER OF THIS THREAD WILL BE DOING THIS AT HOME
In torts, I've never heard anyone suggesting an IV administration and if given SC (subcutaneously) it can cause skin problems(very basic..pH of 11)...given IM,** WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT AN IV ?
it is painful but effective but not at the dosages that you suggest...(unless your tort weights 2.2 pounds, in which case you dosage is partially correct.) * EXACTLY WHAT I SAID , AND MOST RF OWNERS ON HERE HAVE YOUNG /SMALL TORTS ...GOSH ,A FULL SIZE MALE RF IS PUSHING HARD AT 8POUNDS
The injectable form can also be given PO (orally...but it tastes like hell).* EXACLTY WHAT I SAID
Again, this is not meant to upset you and I'm not trying to use any specific tone in this message, so please don't take it wrong, but this is why you never see me post dosages and I deal with them on a daily basis. * HE DIDNT UPSET ME ..... I DIDNT START THE THREAD ......
Does he or you know how often or how many torts I deal with on a " DAILY BASIS" ?
AND I DID SAY THIS 1st HAND ......"I DONT promote * do it your selfers* .. when it comes to Meds and health care ..."
Matt I never said I know everything , or succumb to jeloulsy if I dont know it , What I DONT do is follow " one set way" because he/she said it .... nor PROMOTE it because they said so ! I see that way too much in here.....
JD~:)
WHY HONEST MATT ... I DONT GIVE ADVICE ~ I TAKE PICTURES!''

Does the PHD come before my name or after? :p

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
JD..first the intent of my post was not to offend, anger, insult or imply that you didn't know what you were talking about when it comes to your torts. I have read many of your posts and have always enjoyed your point-of-views.

Please go back and reread your original post, you very specifically mention intravenous use of the drug, not that you have done it but if done in the back legs can be dangerous to the kidneys....and the dosage you gave would only be accurate for one weight..that was the point that I obviously did not make clearly. The OP didn't give a weight for the animal, so an accurate dose cannot be calculated

Please don't accept my word on this, give Dr. Tom Greek a call and ask him what the proper dosage would be in mg/kg, and I'm sure your father is a brilliant microbiologist, no arguements from me.

Again, if you took offense (and you obviously did), I am whole-heartedly sorry for that, it was NOT my intent....I had heard that you were a good guy and cared for you torts like a true professional and assumed you would not get angry with my post, perhaps I should have PM'd you, again, sorry.

FYI, I have never charged any TFO member for advice on ongoing medical cases either on the public forum or via the PM system and I regularly "give away" many dollars worth of services every month to those that cannot afford their pet care, especially when it comes to exotic animals and pocket pets.

Thanks for your time, Doc

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Doc, Good morning .. right back at ya . I didnt take offense to your post , and I guess I shouldnt have said anything. Your EXACTLY right , no one will adminster dosage without ,weight and specs....ect. All I did was simply shed some light on Baytril and MY experences with it!. I didnt tell her to run out and go do it!
Why in the couple years on here I RARLEY give advise * just because of incidents like this*
What upset me is another member coming over and cut and paste our convo, and trying to " back you " Beacuse why your both from Texas, or he is a vet tech. ....who cares?
If I feel I owe you an apology than so be it ..... I will make that decsision.... I never ment to lash back at you personally or your profession. I come from a science background myself with some good roots. At 45 plus years and 35 of them owning torts and herps of all kinds, yea I wanted to be a vet too....
I"ll just stick to my pictures and my own torts...

No bad blood here...... Have a great day !

JD~:)

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
JD...be nice to my Mattyboy.........he is a great guy, I'm sure we would all have a great time together and hope to be able to do just that one day.....and yes, us Texans have to stick together..haha

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
Whoa...didn't want this thread to take off like that....
Anyways an UPDATE on Aslan - He does have a RI - slight congestion in his right lung. He was prescribed Baytril PO (5mg/kg and he is 3.0kg) I will be trying to inject the Baytril into a small piece of fruit, but I'm not so sure that he will be tricked. The vet wanted to start with PO meds since doing Baytril IM is dangerous - can cause tissue necrosis and she doesn't want to take that chance right away; but we may have to go down that road. The vet also prescribed an eye drop - Gentamycin. His eyes are swollen and he does have clear, watery discharge coming from them. The vet was able to get a swab of mucous when he sneezed and she will be running a culture on it. Unfortuantely if Aslan does not respond to treatment we will have to go the the U of M for further evaluation.
We were told Aslan is in his 40s (by previous owners) and he has had a whistle since we got him. We thought that the whistle was due to the fact that he came from a very dry environment so we upped his humidity and increased is warm soaks and that had seemed to help. However the vet feels that he has had a mild RI for a long time and that he is a "carrier". If that is true this is an exacurbation of that RI and he may never get over it :(
Anyways that all I have from the vet..

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
FWIW, I try to avoid injectables due to the potentially greater adverse reactions. I have had great luck with oral administration of enrofloxacin. Here's the trick... As previously mentioned, enrofloxacin (Baytril) and most antibiotics have a nasty taste and trying to trick your tort into taking it (e.g. inserting a tablet into a strawberry or grape) can be difficult because the tablets tend to dissolve quickly. Once the tort has tasted the med, it will refuse almost any attempt to disguise it.

I have found that coating the tablet with only just enough vegetable oil to 'seal' the tablet (or portion thereof) allows the insertion of the tablet into a treat without rapidly dissolving and thus 'contaminating the bait'. To the best of my knowledge and the results obtained, the vegetable oil has no detrimental effect on the efficacy of the overall course of treatment.

As a follow-up to the 'carrier' concept... Bordetella (a.k.a. kennel cough), is not atypical in torts and can be a chronic infection that does not otherwise affect the animal until an upset occurs and the bacteria proliferate. It is highly contagious and if Aslan was in contact with other torts he has likely spread it to them. The bad news is that the other torts should be treated. If only one is treated, another infected tort will quickly spread the infection back to the other(s). The good news is that Baytril is usually very effective against it and once treated, it is gone! So much for the carrier problem...

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
Luckily Aslan is our one tort who lives upstairs so he does not have contact with the others who live downstairs :) And I have always washed my hands between ALL my animals no matter what. So hopefully this infection, whatever it is, has not spread.
The vet actually did not give me tablets, but rather the liquid form of Baytril so I'm going to try and inject it into a grape and see how it goes...Aslan tends to eat grapes quickly so I'm hoping he won't notice *fingers crossed*

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am really sorry to hear all that, that is some tough stuff! I really hope he is not a carrier. Good luck and keep us posted.

ReptileBuddies

5 Year Member
He ate the grapes!! LOL I injected a just a bit of the Baytril into two grapes and he gulped them down :) Then he got a "plain" grape. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.