Respiritory Infection update

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I took "Ed" my redfoot to the vet a couple of weeks ago and was treated with injectable batryl. I took him back to the vet today and its not great news. He has lost weight and his appetite has gone down a bit in the last few days. They switched his meds to gentamycin that is administered with a nebulizer (or gas chamber). Even though I think I have a good vet I still like to run things by you guys to get your opinions.
Thanks,
Jon

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
RE: Respitory Infection update

I just went over the old thread and saw no discussion on humidity... and once again I'm a newb, so the more experienced may have other things to add, but...

Is the humidity in his enclosure too low? I'm strongly of the opinion that Redfoots need it both warm and humid. Warm and dry can lead to respiratory problems as well imho.

Humidity is one of the trickiest parts to keeping tropical reptiles. As evaporating water cools an enclosure it becomes an uphill battle to maintain 80+ on both heat and humidity.

LOL and just now I notice you keep a chameleon, so you probably know full well how tough humidity is ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yes, by all means...go over your husbandry and tweak it to be sure you have the best possible habitat for a redfoot. The nebulizer will provide added humidity, so you may have to raise the temp overall to maintain a healthy temperature.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL

emysemys said:
Yes, by all means...go over your husbandry and tweak it to be sure you have the best possible habitat for a redfoot. The nebulizer will provide added humidity, so you may have to raise the temp overall to maintain a healthy temperature.

Trying to up the humidiy might not be a bad idea inside however my torts are outside most the day in my backyard. Thats why I chose redfoots they are supposed to be better suited for the climate here in FL. The humidity in the room I keep them in at night is usually in the 70 range. Outside its up and down but here in FL the humidity is never really low.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a tortoise becomes ill with a respiratory infection, the first thing you must do is set them up in a hospital habitat. Reason for this is because you have to raise the ambient temperature to help them get well. It doesn't have to be some giant, roomy space. Just something to keep her isolated and warm for the duration of the treatment.

Whinhill

5 Year Member
Maine
I'm concerned with the antibiotic too, I've worked in aquatic animal health for 20 + years and I've never comer across gentamycin given in a nebulizer. Gentamycin is also well know as being nephrotoxic and can easily damage an animals kidneys.

Do you have another vet in your area where you can get a second opinion?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Whinhill said:
I'm concerned with the antibiotic too, I've worked in aquatic animal health for 20 + years and I've never comer across gentamycin given in a nebulizer. Gentamycin is also well know as being nephrotoxic and can easily damage an animals kidneys.

Do you have another vet in your area where you can get a second opinion?

That is what my friend was telling me that is a pharmacist. He had never heard of it administered with a nebulizer and that one of the risks is kidney damage and it can cause eye problems too. Its just that he is the only vet in the area that I know that works heavily with reptiles. But now I am scared. I dont want to cause even more harm. ugh.

As for the hospital set-up. I have set up a large platic bin for him as I do not even have a cage to put him in, just my backyard and a heated shelter I built. But was told that as long as it is warm enough outside that being able to forage in the natural sunlight would be the best thing. I only let him out once it gets into the high 70s and sunny with a projected high in the 80s. Its usually in the 80s around here and the humidity is too. His bin ranges from 80 to 88 on the cool side. I keep a radiator heater next to him so that the room does not drop below 80. Do you think I should stop letting him out?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Thank you. It seems like he might be doing better but its hard to tell. He seems to be eating more.

Status
Not open for further replies.