Redfoot Lindzette respiratory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
My red foot Lindzette is showing signs of a respiratory problem. Last winter she came down with a respiratory infection and she stopped eating, she had bubbles out of her mouth and glassy eyes. When I took her to the vet I was given baytril, she then stopped eating for weeks and thought she would starve but gave her warm soaks baby carrots in water and kept her enclosure in the upper 80s, she finally started eating and it was Mazuri tortoise diet that she finally ate. All of the above was advice given by forum members.
Anyway she has done well and was outside most of the summer and is heavy as a brick.
I feed her pumpkin and mazuri today and she ate it but I noticed some bubbles by her mouth and her eyes have a glassy appearance. So I started warm soakes again and raised her enclosure temperature, and wondering at what time should I take her back to the vet? I hate for her to have more baytril and go off her food again, can this be reversed by what I am currently doing or will she need antibiotics
thanks steve.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Steve:

Respiratory infection USUALLY shows up as bubbly nose. If it were me, I wouldn't worry just yet. As long as she's still eating, thats 90% of the battle.

Have you recently made a change with her...like moving her inside after her living outside all summer? It just might be stress from the move. Just do what you've said...raise the temp a bit and let her be quiet and wait it out. If she stops eating or if you see more than just bubbles then a vet visit would be in order.

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
Yvonne
Thanks for your reply. I have started bringing in my red foots for the last few weeks. Our weather has changed fast this year. My others seem to be doing fine. I am worried because last year I was told that once they get a respiratory problem that they are more likely to get another one. She has had her own indoor enclosure since she got sick last winter but I have kept her outside with the other red foots all summer. Sure hope that it is stress issue.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I would suggest keeping her hide at a higher temp 75-85*, along with a humidity level 60-80% at ALL times. All of my RF's are kept outside year long , but every night are brought in to the " torthut"
( although they can come and go as they please during the day ) which is maintained at the above specs.....*All Year*
The cost of the heating is far less than the trip to the vet and or the loss of the animal. Temps in my area can have a 20 degree swing in the night and day times, which I belive can start to cause problems within this species if not maintained at higher stable tempts.
During her recupe'....sperate from any other torts you may have untill full recovery. The Resp/Rns is very contagious...
Good luck and happy tort~N ~

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.