Upper Respiratory Infection

Alex Prolucs

Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
As I’ve stated in my last post, my tortoise has been showing obvious signs of RI. I made a research about it and it turned out to be an Upper Respiratory Infection. I’ve been advised to raise temperatures, see a vet for antibiotics and also soak the tortoise in baby carrot food. I’ve done all of this but I just can’t find a vet for the antibiotics. I’ve asked a lot and tried enough but can’t find ones.

Please, any advice from your experiences. What antibiotics did you use for an Egyptian tortoise with URI? Please, I want an answer as fast as possible.

Melis

Maryland
What do you mean by frozen? Not moving? Or cold? His eyes look very sunken in in this pic, which happens in death, but hopefully it's just a bad angle?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My tortoise has an Upper Respiratory Infection. I just can’t find a vet for the antibiotics. I’ve asked a lot and tried enough but can’t find ones.
Please, any advice from your experiences. What antibiotics did you use for an Egyptian tortoise with URI? Please, I want an answer as fast as possible.
It would be irresponsible for a layman to offer medical advice that they aren’t trained for. Also it’s unethical/illegal here in the USA for a doctor to give medical advice without seeing the patent. Go to a local veterinarian and tell them what you have learned, show them the textbooks and they should be able to provide the right antibiotic that you need. Before buying or using it, ask us first if it’s good. We can advise that way.
Cowboy Ken

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I agree , just go to a dog and cat vet , a bird vet would be better , tell them fortaz , ceftazidime , they should have it , and be able to dose it , it's like 20mg per kilogram , subq , every three days , ......

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I agree , just go to a dog and cat vet , a bird vet would be better , tell them fortaz , ceftazidime , they should have it , and be able to dose it , it's like 20mg per kilogram , subq , every three days , ......

Wow. A doctor has given you advice. Hey mark1, what did the tortoise infection grow from the swab you took and cultured?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
maybe the dog vet will find some discharge to culture , run x-rays , and a blood test ? usually not , not even a herp vet , unless the antibiotic doesn't work .......at that point this person and his tortoise got a bigger problem , they will need to find a reptile vet , as I doubt a dog vet is going to do any of that , even if it's called for ........... they did say they don't have access to a herp vet , didn't they ...... vets usually are pretty cost conscious , they start out with the most likely , they mostly understand the economics of it ........... that's been been my experience ....... don't know how many vets you been too? but good vets are outstanding guessers ........

Melis

Maryland
He made another post with a pic of his tort and it appeared that it is dead

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
He made another post with a pic of his tort and it appeared that it is dead
that's ashame , given that circumstance the tortoise would have been better off with any advice , fish , horse , sheep , pig antibiotics and dosed off the advice of some random internet "doctor" , a couple weeks ago , the outcome couldn't have been any worse ????..............