Rescued Sulcata WARNING!! GRAPHIC PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
RE: Rescued Sulcata

Just skimmed through previous posts and am really hoping the little one pulls through.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Oh Kelly: This is just terrible! Poor little Cricket! You can just tell from the picture that he is in terrible pain. I put a caution on the thread's subject line so folks can be warned in case they don't want to see the pictures.

I have taken in box turtles that were dog-chewed and you'd be surprised how resilient they can be. But please let me warn you: Use up that antibiotic. Even though you think the tortoise is getting well, don't stop until you've done the whole treatment. It is absolutely imperative to kill off any germs so that there is no infection. An infection can lay quietly showing no symptoms until, boom, the tortoise is quite ill.

I know you're beating yourself up over this, but go easy on yourself. It could have happened, and probably has, to the best of us. We learn and move on.

Thank you for being brave enough to share this terrible thing with us. That can't have been easy for you.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
I am really upset and disapointed that you would be so careless. After everything hes been through... and the trust I had when you promised to give him a good home? Im an understanding and sympathetic person but this is inexcusable. I guess I'm taking it more personally than most but i won't sugar coat it. Im sick over this, and yeah you didnt mean to but you know better. I will NEVER rehome an animal again. I can see the pain in his face and its not fair.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
South FL Katie said:
I am really upset and disapointed that you would be so careless. After everything hes been through... and the trust I had when you promised to give him a good home? Im an understanding and sympathetic person but this is inexcusable. I guess I'm taking it more personally than most but i won't sugar coat it. Im sick over this, and yeah you didnt mean to but you know better. I will NEVER rehome an animal again. I can see the pain in his face and its not fair.

Clearly you are not an understanding and sympathetic person.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Marty333 said:

That's not fair. Katie is the one who rescued this tortoise from a horrible situation. Of course she's going to be upset that this happened to the tortoise SHE saved. Please do not judge someone you know absolutely nothing about.

Yvonne- thank you for the graphic picture warning.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I'm very sorry to hear that this happened. It is a terrible situation for everyone involved. We keep animals as pets for one reason: we love animals. It is always sad to hear when things like this happen.

This is yet another good example of why all new tortoise owners should have a veterinarian for their pet. (I'm making a general statement and not insinuating that APBT_Fanatic didn't have a vet.). Too often, reptile owners do not have a vet for their reptiles. It is only when something goes wrong that a scramble to find a vet begins. Situations like a dog attack are a great example of why every reptile, both sick and healthy, should have a veterinarian.

This situation also demonstrates why we should all have contact info available for a 24 hour veterinary hospital as well. Accidents rarely happen between 8am and 5pm (or so it seems). If your regular vet is closed and an emergency occurs off hours, you should have a backup plan. It may just save your pet's life.

Best of luck to Cricket. Keep us posted.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
So sorry for Crickets injury, keeping both you and him in my prayers and meditations. We are all family here, sharing pictures and stories of our 'children'. It hurts each and every one of us when something bad happens.

keep us posted.

teri

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
While I understand you are upset Katie, I am also upset and already stated how much I hate myself for this happening.
I appreciate others saying not to beat yourself up, but I am and will continue to do so.

Katie, up until this ACCIDENT I have given Cricket EXCELLENT care. He has been on a good diet, good substrate, ample room to roam around, his shell has been growing smoothly, he had seen the vet and was on meds prior (for his bubbly nose, which I recieved him from you with), etc. Like I said, while I DO understand you are upset, this was an ACCIDENT and I truly hate the fact it has happened.

You should know first hand how much I love Cricket, as I have posted updates frequently, I reimbursed you I believe approx. $180 just to get him, gotten him the care he needs, etc.

I had a feeling you in particular would rip me apart for this, and like I said twice above, I understand, but it just goes to show that all the hard work and time I put into him prior to this ACCIDENT does not mean anything to you. He is in a good home, and if you can not see that (by how I am still willing to do ANYTHING and spend ANYTHING to get him better), than I am sorry.

Yes, I realize you saved him from the idiot on Craigslist, and I don't mean to be rude about this, but I have been the one supporting him ever since (financially, emotionally, labor, time, etc.). I thank you whole-heartedly for getting him away from that person; however, as important as that was, it was only the first step for him and his new life. Since the day I got him and up to this accident, he was thriving extremely well in my care. You just made it crystal clear that none of that matters... the only thing that matters to you is that he is now injured, I screwed up, I hate myself for it, and now it's the perfect time to get after me for it.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
ChiKat said:
Marty333 said:

That's not fair. Katie is the one who rescued this tortoise from a horrible situation. Of course she's going to be upset that this happened to the tortoise SHE saved. Please do not judge someone you know absolutely nothing about.

Yvonne- thank you for the graphic picture warning.

I have read this whole post. Is she the one providing him with a lovely home and caring for him to this day? No. Yes I am happy that she saved Cricket from the idiot on craigslist and put the little sully on the right track but it is not HER tortoise anymore. Her post is not helping the situation all she is doing is ranting on and on about how mad she is. I dont give a care in the world that she wont rehome another animal again because of this. Clearly she does not have the best intentions for any other animal that needs a new home that comes in her life. All I care is that Cricket is getting the care he needs and hopefully he will make a great recovery. The same thing could happen to Katie but she probably wouldnt admit it. APBT_fanatics posted something very hard to admit for the sake of the tortoise and all I can say is she has guts.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Okay folks, this is an extremely emotional thread, and it was very hard for APBT to come forward and share this story. Try and keep calm, and remember that personal attacks will not be tolerated.

***mod hat off***

It takes incredible GUTS to come forward and share this type of story. Does anyone realize how difficult it is? I do. I have talked before about the predator that broke into MY pen and killed MY tortoise, even though I thought it was predator proof. How many others out there have had the same thing happen? Out of 5,000 people? A few, I would wager.

This was a terrible ACCIDENT. The true horror of it is that Cricket has to pay. APBT knows that, and there is no reason to sugar coats things. But accidents happen! If someone's child falls off a swing, and breaks their arm, does that make them a horrible parent? What if that same family has a dog that has not hurt anyone in its entire life, and suddenly bites the child? Does that mean that the child should be taken away? Would, say, the child's teacher come to the parents and say, "I have taught and nurtured this child, and now look what you have allowed to happen!"

APBT was brave enough and humble enough to come back and say, "I screwed up, BIG TIME, please learn from my mistake." All it would have taken was remaining quiet - no one would have ever known.

The important thing is concentrating on helping APBT get Cricket well again.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL
When i rescued him i had many people offer to take him in, i actually wanted to rehome him to a vet tech but kelly insisted that she would be the best home for him, ive thanked her over and over and for prividing for him. When you leave a tortoise enclosure unsecure with dogs around then you risk their safety, to me thats not an accident, thats being careless. Not only do i feel responsible for whats happened to him by placing him in your care but then you throw it in my face that you payed for him? I didnt make any profit on him, i lost money. I wanted a safe home with proper care for him, money was never an issue. And i wont even get started on the pain med situation.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is such a sad situation, for both of you. I can also see your side, as I've re-homed many waters turtles. Later on I would find that after spending my own money, and time, nursing them back to health, that some people would dump them into a local pond when they no longer wanted them. I've also had some that were chewed up by their dogs and died. I don't know what to say to you to ease your pain.
I also feel so bad for Kelly as she really didn't want this to happen and did her best to try to give that little tort a good home.
But mostly I feel bad for Cricket. He is the innocent one here, and is suffering so much pain right now. I hope that things can be resolved between the two of you, and that Cricket will still have a chance for a happy life.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Put your Big Girl Panties on and take all this personal stuff OFF the public Forum.. Please. It makes me not want to stay and read or help.. thats not what we are here for.

I agree with Maggie also.. Betadine can be harsh.. look for the 'blue stuff' I think you might be able to find it at a feed store or farm supply.. Its reccomended over betadine these days. They spray it on newborn Umbilical cords, (Sheep goats etc) It disenfects without the burn or staining. And PM the Doc to see what he says about Metacam.. I THINK it is also in Oral type administration..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Laura said:
Put your Big Girl Panties on and take all this personal stuff OFF the public Forum.. Please. It makes me not want to stay and read or help.. thats not what we are here for.

I agree with Maggie also.. Betadine can be harsh.. look for the 'blue stuff' I think you might be able to find it at a feed store or farm supply.. Its reccomended over betadine these days. They spray it on newborn Umbilical cords, (Sheep goats etc) It disenfects without the burn or staining. And PM the Doc to see what he says about Metacam.. I THINK it is also in Oral type administration..
I don't wear panties, what do i do?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well.... you can start.. or borrow.. or..
oh.. i dont think this was aimed at you to begin with.. got me excited there for a second..
now back to the OP.....:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Look apbt could have kept quiet and said nothing, or she could post and hopefully help someone else learn, how many of us can say we have never ever had a turtle or tortoise injured through an accident, I believe this was an accident, dogs are smart and despite our best effort can get into places, here is hoping that she learns and constructs a new cage that is better built, it is sad that cricket has gone through so much in his life. Getting angry does not solve most problems and I don't think it will solve this one.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
O god i do not no what to say i found this thread a few hours ago and have been reading it ever since Poor Cricket. I agree with what Terry said is hard on both of you, you both love this little guy, i can see why Katie is upset she loves him too and no one wants anyone they love too hurt, but it was a nasty accident and Kellly did not know about the weak spot in the mess if she did Cricket would not have been put in there. Bad things happen when my Daughter was a toddler i left a cup of tea on a window sill with the handle turned in and turned my back for a second then i heard the Scream and knew straight away what she had done she still managed to get the cup and pulled the hot tea on her, I cried and felt so bad i should have know and stopped it happening, but in time i realised we can not see when things will go wrong ACCIDENTS happen.

I have a Westie as well as a Hermann's this thread as made me look at her Table and pen the pen will now be checked over before Shelby goes out and i am going to add a screen over the Table even though Bonnie is never left in the room with Shelby and her Bed is two doors away.

I have everything crossed for Cricket and I am sat here with a lump in my Throat, lets all pull together and send out positive thoughts For him and Both Kelly and Katie u both did a great thing for this little guy if u both had not been there for him he would probably not be here now he is a fighter he as proven that this story has to have a happy ending xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.