Rescued Sulcata WARNING!! GRAPHIC PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Coral Springs, FL
He came from a kid on craigslist who didn't even know what type of tortoise he was. He was feeding him iceberg lettuce and meal worms and was keeping him in a small plastic container not even 12" long. His shell is oddly shaped and deformed and he can't go in it all the way but he seems ok other than that. We have no other information about where he came from or how old he is or anything. We'll be rehoming him once he's eating well and back on track to a healthy life! Let me know if you have any advice or tips please.

5-25-10031.jpg

5-25-10032.jpg

5-25-10030.jpg

5-25-10029.jpg

5-25-10027.jpg

5-25-10016.jpg

5-25-10005.jpg

5-25-10004.jpg

Kayti

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ashland, Oregon
RE: Rescued Sulcata

I'm so glad you rescued him! Now he has a real shot at a good life. He has quite the cute face going on there too.

I wonder if he actually ate the mealworms? I saw a store around here trying to feed baby Sulcatas crickets once. Ugh.
Is he going for the lettuce at all?

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL

Isn't be cute?! I'm so glad we ended up picking him up too, I kept flip flopping every day but now I know we did the right thing.
I offered him endive and radicchio but he didn't eat them :( Hopefully tomorrow he'll be more settled in... I'll try some baby romaine.
I highly doubt he ate any meal worms...could they get hungry enough to do that? ugh.

S

Scooter

He is very cute! Is his shell hard? His eyes and nose look clear, thats a good sign.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL

His shell is hard and his eyes and nose do look good so far. Any ideas about his shell? Do you think he was born that way?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

I can't say if they eat mealworms but my sulc ate a pill bug the other day, I had moved his brick to tear some grass up ,and there was a pill bug there he came over loooked at it ,and chowed down on it.

S

Scooter

The shell deformity looks like something he was born with too me. Keep us updated on his progress.

South FL Katie

5 Year Member
Coral Springs, FL

Thanks!

He stiill wouldn't eat this morning :( I tried big pieces, little pieces, some with TNT some without, every tortoise veggie I have in the house. I hope he starts eating soon. Is there something very irresistible that I could try?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I would guess he was hatched that way.

Torts will eat meat whenever they can. They are opportunistic. Doesn't mean its good for them. If you put a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in front of me, I'll show you a quick disappearing trick too. I've seen footage of a Galopagos tortoise that would patiently lay in wait by the edge of the water and intentionally squish and eat finches. Recently, I read a story in the CTTC newsletter about a big sulcata in a large 1 acre pen that would stalk, catch, kill and eat gophers all day.

Try offering any finely chopped foods that are red, orange or yellow. Those colors are usually very stimulating. Rose or hibiscus petals, bell peppers, squash, even fruit, if you have to.

Be prepared for the possibility that his insides are as messed up as his outsides. No matter what you do, this little guy just might not be fit for survival. I'm not saying don't try, I'm just saying it MIGHT be futile.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!

I hope you can find something he likes to eat. He's awfully cute, thank you for taking him!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

as horrorific as it sounds I would love to see video of the gopher eating sulc.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

Awww the poor little guy! His shell is so strange looking.
Thank goodness you rescued him- he's in much better hands now. I hope you get him strong and ready for his forever home!
C'mon lil' man- EAT!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

Good luck, let us know if the magic of the mazzuri works on your little one.

S

Scooter

My little guy likes petunia leaves and Christmas cactus, if you have them maybe he would like them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.