weird looking shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

torti

5 Year Member
Saw him on Craigslist and I couldn't resist. Didn't see his weird shell in the pictures at first. But when I saw him he was just adorable (even with the funky shell and all). He seems healthy and active. Would the deformed shell be a problem later?

I don't think the previous owner fed him very well. He came home trying to eat everything from the hide to the coco coir.

torti

5 Year Member
Sorry didn't even realize I didn't post a picture.

20120120_173849.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
The little one just has split scutes thats all, very nice looking sulcata...

No it will not cause any problems in the future..

torti

5 Year Member
Thanks I'm glad to hear. So is he what people will call an imperfect hatchling?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Depends on who your asking, I for one think they are perfect in there own way and it makes them very unique...

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
I think it looks pretty, especially if no harm is done to him in the future. I say good luck and good job.. Very cute... What did you name it?

torti

5 Year Member
LOL I thought the same. My 3 year old said, " mommy we have to get him, he has a funny shell!"

Have decided on a name yet, it will be up to my son.

Haven't decided on a name yet, it will be up to my son.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Ummm I thought tortoises had 13 top scutes.... he has 15 (counting the split scute as 1 and not 2) Is this common?

... BTW I think he is BEAUTIFUL! I love the slit scute!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Wow...it's pretty cool..very unique....can you tell if he walks funny?...I would think as long as he's not inhibited in movement he will be fine

torti

5 Year Member
He walks fine. Like any normal sully, with a special shell. Although his bottom shell looks different compared to my other one. So it makes it harder for him to climb over things. Ill take a picture of it tmrw (its already lights out for them) ;D

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Uuugggghhhhhhhh I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous !!!! I want the little guy lol I love, love, love, love, love his split scute!! It's in my favorite spot for split scutes too :(
I will give one million dollars for him !!....once I win the lottery which should be happening for me soon ;)

I love him lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Split scutes are usually caused by high incubation temps. This little baby was probably incubated over summer where things tend to get a bit warm. That almost guarantees its a female too. Almost... I've never seen a split scute that wasn't female, but that doesn't mean its not possible. In most cases it is only cosmetic and will do no harm at all.

I'm very glad she found a better home with you! :)

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
My morla has a split scute.....i love them I think it makes them unique. She is a pretty little tort.....

torti

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. After I picked him up I didn't know whether or not I made a mistake. When I went to get him, he was kept in a tub on newspaper and he was so dry =(

Status
Not open for further replies.