Rescued Sulcata WARNING!! GRAPHIC PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bellingham, WA
What a special little tortie! Cricket is looking better already. I'm sorry this little guy has had such a rough life, but it's obvious that you care about him greatly. Nobody is safe from accidents, but learning from mistakes is what makes us all better pet owners and people. I'm so sorry for what's happened, but you're doing right by Cricket. I've no doubt he's in good hands. :)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Cricket got to go outside again today, this time for about an hour.
While he did not eat anything, I just now noticed (and this might come across as a little offensive to some people, solely due to the fact his accident caused this) that while he was NEVER able to put his mouth to the ground before, now he can do so, due to the fact that part of his shell is missing. Meaning, he can now eat better on his own and he can eat more easily without as much struggle to get the pieces of food to his mouth. I am a little excited for him because of this, as it was always so sad to see/know how difficult eating on his own was (if you followed this entire thread, you would see how he had to be hand-fed for a long time, then I was able to get him to eat on his own--- a large pile of small pieces of food). He use to manage eating his whole pile of food, but it took him a long time to do so, and now I am hoping he can eat more and maybe his growth will be just a little faster.

If you go to the first post I posted with pictures of his wounds (page 13) you can see the before and after pictures... showing how his shell was right up under his chin and not allowing him to reach all the way down.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I'm glad Cricket is doing better. love the last pic of him sunning/stretching. A 'good feeling' shot.

good thoughts continue to flow your way

teri

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
He is one tough cookie - or should I say "cricket". He is looking so much better already.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm so glad he's eating better. This may sound terrible, but I'm saying it anyway.....sometimes, even if it's only one thing, something good can come out of something bad.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I do not find that offensive Kelly, I thought the same thing if anything good comes out of something so horrible for poor Cricket is it will not be as hard for him to reach food. So I have my fingers cross still for him and pray he makes a full recovery and is ok when they take the foot xx

Wezzer

5 Year Member
Pontefract, UK
I have just sat and read the whole thread on this little tort. I found it such an emotional story and am glad that he is doing well. As for the accident, they happen to everyone and it is not anyones fault. I am glad that he is recovering and able to move around a little bit

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
Amazing how well he looks! Even the foot doesn't look nearly as bad. Is it possible the foot is not dead and will just be deformed but usable in the future? I am happy your vet gave this time before doing an amputation of the leg.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
No, I think the foot is dead unfortunately.

On the bright side, guess who's eating???? :D
He seemed interested in food prior, but would not eat. I decided to put him back in his outdoor enclosure and put food on his eating tile to see if that works... and he ate! I have pictures that I will post later.

No, unfortunately I think the foot is dead.

On the bright side, guess who's eating!?!? :D
He was not eating prior, so I decided to put him in his outdoor enclosure (has not been there since the day he was injured) and put food on his eating tile to see if that would work... and it did! I have pictures I will post later.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
No, unfortunately I think the foot is dead.

On the bright side, guess who's eating!?!? :D
He was not eating prior, so I decided to put him in his outdoor enclosure (has not been there since the day he was injured) and put food on his eating tile to see if that would work... and it did! I have pictures I will post later.

Sorry for posting that 3 times. The fourm was messing up and would not let my posts go through. A mod can fix that if they would like! ;)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
w0sz9f.jpg

6qwv2p.jpg

ydirn.jpg

jpkjyf.jpg

126cnzc.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Is he still on meds? Please let us know when the dosages stop!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
DeanS said:
Is he still on meds? Please let us know when the dosages stop!

Yes, he is still on his pain meds and his antibiotics.
He gets the pain meds daily and has 4 more doses.
He gets his antibiotics every 72 hours and has 5 more doses.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Thanks...I really anticipate the updates after he's off the meds. But he sure is hanging on!

Status
Not open for further replies.