Reptilia

Status
Not open for further replies.

nguindon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Yesterday I went to Reptilia, it's a reptile zoo near my house. They also sell hatchlings of their pet-friendly reptiles and supplies.

They had a 1200lb Nile Crocodile! It would follow me as I walked around the huge tank, many times the only thing separating us was a thin sheet of plexiglass... It was so awesome. They also had a lot of red foots, sulcatas and one leopard tortoise. We were there at tortoise feeding time, the staff was super friendly and informative. They had put some sort of large Iguana in there with the sulcatas because apparently he was a "bully" who wasn't getting along with his mates. They put him in the sulcata enclosure for a time out because he couldn't push them around!

We talked to one of the employees about how we did a lot of research to make sure the pet was right for us, and he said "Let me show you an example of a bad choice..."

He unlocked a door and led us behind some enclosures, then unlocked a door and I saw the gigantic back of a 9' American Alligator. It was inches away with nothing between us... The employee told us that he had been given to them by someone who "did not know it would get that big", which is pathetic because even a cursory Google search tells me they are "11.2 to 14.5 ft". Later we heard him calling to the females he is not yet big enough to share space with. It sounded like a noise out of Jurassic Park.

I thought the place would be much smaller and less interesting, I am smacking myself for not bringing my camera. Soon I'll be bringing my nephew there to show him, I'll definitely bring my camera to show you all!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Nick, I'm so sad you didn't bring your camera too. I would love to see some pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience. :D

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Never, ever under estimate the power of our ignorance in us here human beings. "Well I jest don't git it. Them there rubber ally gators in the toy section at the drug store are only a foot long? And thems is full grown!"

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Reptilia sounds like a bad 50's monster movie.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where is this place? I wanna go. I wonder who recommended an alligator as a house pet to those people. Nile crocs are scary. Bad dudes. I have a friend with a couple smaller ones. (He's a permitted, professional facility). They do NOT behave like an alligator.

nguindon

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Tom said:
Where is this place? I wanna go. I wonder who recommended an alligator as a house pet to those people. Nile crocs are scary. Bad dudes. I have a friend with a couple smaller ones. (He's a permitted, professional facility). They do NOT behave like an alligator.

REPTILIA
2501 Rutherford Road
Vaughan, Ontario
Canada, L4K 2N6
(905) 761-6223

We asked him how they feed the Nile Crocs and he said "very carefully. They try to eat us every time." They have a little door hidden amongst trees on a ledge they can't reach, but even so sometimes they have to go in there... I certainly wouldn't want to! They poke a stick through with meat on the end. He told us they feed them Sunday afternoons, if I remember correctly (a major attraction). There were plenty of other types of gators and crocs, dwarf caimans, etc. The black mamba cage had two stuffed black snake dolls in it, because apparently everyone was confused that their black mamba wasn't BLACK :D He was sort of a sandy yellow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
nguindon said:
Tom said:

REPTILIA
2501 Rutherford Road
Vaughan, Ontario
Canada, L4K 2N6
(905) 761-6223

We asked him how they feed the Nile Crocs and he said "very carefully. They try to eat us every time." They have a little door hidden amongst trees on a ledge they can't reach, but even so sometimes they have to go in there... I certainly wouldn't want to! They poke a stick through with meat on the end. He told us they feed them Sunday afternoons, if I remember correctly (a major attraction). There were plenty of other types of gators and crocs, dwarf caimans, etc. The black mamba cage had two stuffed black snake dolls in it, because apparently everyone was confused that their black mamba wasn't BLACK :D He was sort of a sandy yellow.

Thanks.

Black mambas... another really bad dude, that I have no desire to mess with. I can't think of a more dangerous snake on the planet. There are some that have more potent venom, but none of those will chase you through the African Bush to get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.