TSA shout-out

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Just returned home from a quick trip to Fla from Wilmington DE to Daytona airport. We had some interesting encounters with TSA agents at each airport.

This didn't happen when we went to Jamaica because I straight out lied and packed them in "checked bags" and told the girl there were no batteries in our bags. That bothered me though so I told Kerry we were going to play by the rules and see what happens this time.

I our carry-on's, we each carried 2 of these;
20230815_030531 (1).jpg

Aluminum construction, non-openable, about 14.5" long, 2.5" diameter. Guess what they look like on their xray machines? Just like a WW1 bomb, a pipe bomb, a time bomb....see the common denominator? LOL

"Oh Yeah, we need to talk"

The process was the same; Show them, answer their questions, act "old".......

I have to say that I was impressed with their level of professionalism, openness to devices they had not seen before and their use of available tools when they chem-swabbed each unit and the reality that I am not who they need to worry about. ALL on them in both locations were just like my neighbors....not the TSA I've found at larger airports but that just might be my perception of them at larger airports?

They were all very cool.....and one of them was so enthused, he was talking about buying one as he looked at the Amazon page!

It won't shock my friends to know I generally don't like "authority", in any guise but especially "gov"...........but these guys were okay and I appreciated what THEIR world is like....kinda neat.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just returned home from a quick trip to Fla from Wilmington DE to Daytona airport. We had some interesting encounters with TSA agents at each airport.

This didn't happen when we went to Jamaica because I straight out lied and packed them in "checked bags" and told the girl there were no batteries in our bags. That bothered me though so I told Kerry we were going to play by the rules and see what happens this time.

I our carry-on's, we each carried 2 of these;
View attachment 360321

Aluminum construction, non-openable, about 14.5" long, 2.5" diameter. Guess what they look like on their xray machines? Just like a WW1 bomb, a pipe bomb, a time bomb....see the common denominator? LOL

"Oh Yeah, we need to talk"

The process was the same; Show them, answer their questions, act "old".......

I have to say that I was impressed with their level of professionalism, openness to devices they had not seen before and their use of available tools when they chem-swabbed each unit and the reality that I am not who they need to worry about. ALL on them in both locations were just like my neighbors....not the TSA I've found at larger airports but that just might be my perception of them at larger airports?

They were all very cool.....and one of them was so enthused, he was talking about buying one as he looked at the Amazon page!

It won't shock my friends to know I generally don't like "authority", in any guise but especially "gov"...........but these guys were okay and I appreciated what THEIR world is like....kinda neat.
I have gotten more flack for my most comfortable pair of pants- they had 5 zippers 🤣 and food I left in the bag. Given how many people they deal witha day I like em. Heck years ago in Orlando got to see a beagle WORK- glanced at me cause of my dog smell but sat right next to the shady looking guy😆- wonder what he had on him

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, I don't know what they are?
Im sure smaller airports, cities are kinder and not as stressed as those airports that would be a target. Like O'Hare airport which is in a more targeted city with international service.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Looks like you had a bunch of fun. It's so nice that you got to actually tell the truth and everyone had a beautiful day anyway..😊

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
W, they are my underwater toys.

Yes Ms Cathie....no one will ever recommend me for canonization but it's less stressful to be honest, just is.

I LOVED the Wilmington airport, the folks there were nice, professional but nice.

There's only 1 plane, 1 gate, 1 TSA line and a max of 500 or so folks in the entire airport and that's only when an arriving plane has filled the building! It was really nice & relaxed!

Imagine, we walked out the door of the building on the tarmac to the stairs to get into the plane like the president does! I haven't "walked the tarmac" in the USA since BWI was a local airport 45 yrs ago! It was pretty cool!

The ground crew all lines up and waves as you take off!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Okay, I don't know what they are?
Im sure smaller airports, cities are kinder and not as stressed as those airports that would be a target. Like O'Hare airport which is in a more targeted city with international service.
Underwater scooters just looked it up as well...... 🤣

Compact and portable without compromising on performance. Measuring 14.84*2.75*2.75in and weighing only 3lbs, the Subnado underwater scooter is about the size of a small soda bottle. It delivers up to 14.33lbs of thrust thanks to its proprietary, highly efficient propulsion system. Your Subnado goes where you go, conveniently in your carry-on luggage, with an airline-approved 98Wh battery.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Underwater scooters just looked it up as well...... 🤣

Compact and portable without compromising on performance. Measuring 14.84*2.75*2.75in and weighing only 3lbs, the Subnado underwater scooter is about the size of a small soda bottle. It delivers up to 14.33lbs of thrust thanks to its proprietary, highly efficient propulsion system. Your Subnado goes where you go, conveniently in your carry-on luggage, with an airline-approved 98Wh battery.
Thanks for that. I remember seeing a pic when they were being used in the water, I guess I didn't realize they were that small.