Recent Redfoot Rescue

N2JRNEY

Hi all:

New here. Last week I rescued a Redfoot tortoise from a no-kill shelter in NYC. Bit of background - I already have a 10 year old Leopard tortoise so am not entirely new to caring for a tortoise. However, the Redfoot is much older (shelter guesstimated to be at least 20) and has obvious pyramiding. She still will not touch any greens - I've tried kale, collard greens, romaine, red leaf - but will beeline for the cat or dog food crunchies. I assume that must be what she was eating in her previous home, although I don't have any info on her past. So far the only luck I have has been getting her to eat small amounts of tomatoes, shredded zucchini (which she loved), strawberries, watermelon...Of course lots of "treats" if you will. She spends a lot of time outdoors so munches on grass while out there but I am trying to get her bowels in check. She drinks plenty and urinates a lot. She had one good poop the day I first brought her home but since she's no longer eating cat or dog food and I'm trying to move her to greens and veggies, it has become liquidy and sparse. I am sure there is the expected stress of moving to a new environment in addition to changing her diet, but am looking for any/all advice. She is extremely friendly and loves to sun bathe. I've kept her and the Leopard separate to give the Redfoot time to get accustomed to her new home, but also their size difference is pretty significant and don't want there to be any issues. We're building an outdoor pen for the Redfoot so she can spend her Summers outdoors.

I've included some photos as well so you can get an idea of her size (in a few, she had just been soaking her bottom half in water which is why it's a bit darker). As well as her last photo on the streets of NYC!

Open to any/all advice if you've ever rescued a (much) older tortoise! I know old habits are hard to break :)

MG.jpg MG2.jpg MG3.jpg MG4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Congrats! She looks like a real character!

I think you're doing exactly what you should be doing...introducing foods slowly and persistently.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum to you as well as your good looking tort.:D

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
she is just sooo cute!

i highly recommend keeping them separated as tortoises can be big bullies.

id love to see your other tortoise!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to wean her off the cat/dog food gradually. You put just a tiny amount of the greens and fruit and mix it well with the dog food. Over time, increase the greens and decrease the dog food, but bear in mind this may take a very long time, even a year or more.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Stress can definitely cause diarrhea but I wonder if Mazuri pellets would help with the diarrhea. A lot of older torts and rescues eat dog/cat food exclusively and I think you may be right about that being what she was fed for so long. She may be struggling to digest wetter foods like fruits and veggies. Mazuri is a good dietary supplement anyway so it may be worth checking out to see if it can firm up her poops a bit.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Pyramiding isn't too bad. I've rescued a few older torts that came from the streets with severe health issues. They are resilie creatures and will bounce back with the right care. It just takes a long time to see the differences. She looks pretty healthy other than the pyramiding. The newer growth looks good. I wouldn't rush to put your leopard with her as you don't know if she has and parasites or pathogens. I quarantine for at least a year with a vet check to be sure. Glad you adopted her. She is quite pretty!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi all:

New here. Last week I rescued a Redfoot tortoise from a no-kill shelter in NYC. Bit of background - I already have a 10 year old Leopard tortoise so am not entirely new to caring for a tortoise. However, the Redfoot is much older (shelter guesstimated to be at least 20) and has obvious pyramiding. She still will not touch any greens - I've tried kale, collard greens, romaine, red leaf - but will beeline for the cat or dog food crunchies. I assume that must be what she was eating in her previous home, although I don't have any info on her past. So far the only luck I have has been getting her to eat small amounts of tomatoes, shredded zucchini (which she loved), strawberries, watermelon...Of course lots of "treats" if you will. She spends a lot of time outdoors so munches on grass while out there but I am trying to get her bowels in check. She drinks plenty and urinates a lot. She had one good poop the day I first brought her home but since she's no longer eating cat or dog food and I'm trying to move her to greens and veggies, it has become liquidy and sparse. I am sure there is the expected stress of moving to a new environment in addition to changing her diet, but am looking for any/all advice. She is extremely friendly and loves to sun bathe. I've kept her and the Leopard separate to give the Redfoot time to get accustomed to her new home, but also their size difference is pretty significant and don't want there to be any issues. We're building an outdoor pen for the Redfoot so she can spend her Summers outdoors.

I've included some photos as well so you can get an idea of her size (in a few, she had just been soaking her bottom half in water which is why it's a bit darker). As well as her last photo on the streets of NYC!

Open to any/all advice if you've ever rescued a (much) older tortoise! I know old habits are hard to break :)

View attachment 180788 View attachment 180789 View attachment 180790 View attachment 180791
She looks like she has attitude, looks gorgeous, love that 2nd photo."what you looking at". Try mixing some fruit in with weeds or greens. All my reds would make a beeline for catfood if given the choice. I feed protein once a week. Rest of diet is weeds/fruit and mushrooms.