Redfoot Health Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torties

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
We recently rescued a Redfoot from a family that was not properly caring for her. Her eyes are a little buggy and watery so I am now treating her with antibiotics. The concern that I have is that she has a spot on her neck that bulges when she breathes (or her heart beats - it is hard to tell). Additionally, she tends to walk with her neck close to the ground. I realize that she is a little overweight so I am hoping that this is the cause. I am hoping that this isn't something that is an immediate vet visit. Does anyone have any insight?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Torties said:
We recently rescued a Redfoot from a family that was not properly caring for her. Her eyes are a little buggy and watery so I am now treating her with antibiotics. The concern that I have is that she has a spot on her neck that bulges when she breathes (or her heart beats - it is hard to tell). Additionally, she tends to walk with her neck close to the ground. I realize that she is a little overweight so I am hoping that this is the cause. I am hoping that this isn't something that is an immediate vet visit. Does anyone have any insight?

Antibiotics for watery eyes? This is probably more due to dehydration than disease. Antibiotic abuse is a real problem for animals as much as it is for humans.

Neck close to the ground does not worry me a lot, but the pulsing spot does a little. You can see when the tortoise breathes- the neck bulges, or the limbs sag in and out. Knowing where the spot is, and how big it is, and how often it pulses would be helpful.

If you are not used to Red-foots, try http://www.redfoots.com for simple care guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.