Redfoot On Back - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington State
I have cared for Ruby over the past two years and we refer to her as our special needs tortoise as we rescued her from a horrific existence. Due to her poor care at the beginning of her life she does not walk normal on her front legs but she has improved substantially with a proper diet, exercise, etc. An odd thing had been occurring recently that I have never seen her do before. Yesterday, we found her completely upside down on her back in her enclosure and this evening after we came home from being out all day I found her on her side unable to upright herself.

We have not changed her substrate which is cypress mulch. Has anyone ever experienced this problem with their redfoot and if so what would you recommend that we do to prevent this from occurring. I am very concerned that she may do this while I am away at work and I won't be able to help her. My main concern is if she gets herself trapped under the heat lamp for an extended period of time. Does anyone have any suggestions???

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Was she near a wall or cage furnishings? Usually they flip over from trying to climb, so you remove the obstacle or fix it. Yes, you are correct that under heat or in water this is especially dangerous. I am surprised she was on her side and couldn't right herself. Feel free to post photos and indicate where you've found her on her back so we can try and figure out why.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Make sure there are no objects near the walls and around the perimeter. I have experienced this before but my redfoots have always been able to right themselves. Due to the fact that you rescued him (great job rescuing the poor fellow!) does he have an abnormaly shaped shell? or large amounts of pyramiding? IF so that may be the reason he is unable to right himself. In which case i do not know how to help you. Hopefully the above stated advice will help you!

Best wishes!

Torts

5 Year Member
Washington State
jrcrist4 said:
Make sure there are no objects near the walls and around the perimeter. I have experienced this before but my redfoots have always been able to right themselves. Due to the fact that you rescued him (great job rescuing the poor fellow!) does he have an abnormaly shaped shell? or large amounts of pyramiding? IF so that may be the reason he is unable to right himself. In which case i do not know how to help you. Hopefully the above stated advice will help you!

Best wishes!

Thanks for your input. She goes along the edge of her enclosure and props herself up and then ends up falling over on her back. Unfortunately, she does have a little bit of pyramiding due to her upbringing. Hopefully I will be able to come up with a solution.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Don't panic over flipping. It is not fun for her, but unless she is directly under a very hot source or in the water dish, nothing much will happen in part of a day. Not a good thing, but she'll usually be OK.

If she 'stands up' along a wall, try sloping the cypress so it meets the glass at as flat of an angle as you can. Instead of meeting at an 'L', try to meet at a '\_' instead (with the wall being straight up and down).

Status
Not open for further replies.