Is it ok to give Gretta a friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Gretta is a 7 inch (I think around 6 yr old) female redfoot. I bought her a little over a year ago. I think I am doing pretty well with her habitat setup and care and I have been thinking for a long time about getting Gretta a friend. I know redfoots generally like to live with another tortoise, however is it too late to add another one? The reason I am asking is Gretta doesnt even like my cat, if Gretta even sees my kitty across the room she actually opens her mouth and "hisses" at the cat! Im assuming this is just because she doesnt like the cat (and I dont blame her) but could this be any indicatiion that she wouldnt like another tort to live with? Oh yeah, Gretta's new 6ft x 4 ft cage is almost complete so that would be the home for her and her new possible friend.

I cant wait to hear everyone's suggestions!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
There are a lot of things to think about when adding another tortoise.

One - there needs to be a quarantine period. A new tortoise can carry parasites or illnesses that it can pass to your existing tort. The most commonly accepted period is 6 months kept separate.

Two - if the tortoises do not get along, do you have the room and resources to maintain separate enclosures?

Three - the habitat needs to be large enough and contain separate hides and sight line barriers to reduce stress. 6 X 4 is big enough for a not yet full grown Redfoot, but a bit small for two, and WAY too small for two adults.

If you can work out those issues, you can give it a shot.

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I do realize 6 x 4 is not big enough for 2 adults, its not even big enough for 1 adult. This enclosure is just what I have space for at this time. As far as the quarantine period, I did not realize it was 6 months, however I did know there is one and I am prepared for it. I will use Gretta's current cage as the "New addition's" cage and I can easily make another hide.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Red-foots generally do better in groups. I would recommend doing this.

The quarantine period is flexible. If the animal has not been in contact with wild tortoises of any species for a long time, you can shorten it. If it has been kept by itself in decent housing, you can shorten it, if it is a captive bred hatchling you can almost totally ignore it. Red-foots are not as susceptible to this sort of thing as some other species are- especially North American tortoises.

The housing- figure about 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths for one, double it for two, and add a little more for each additional. Few people follow that rigidly, but that is the goal. Red-foots can tolerate a little crowding in the winter if they have big outdoor pens in the summer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The nice thing about a quarantine period is that you will have two habitats already set up. So at the end of the time frame, if one or the other of the tortoises doesn't like or get along with the other one, you already have a second habitat that you can put the tortoise into.

RF tortoises seem to do well in groups, so you may have good luck adding a friend for Gretta. But in case it doesn't work out, just put it back in the quarantine habitat!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just be aware that sometimes pairs are harder to maintain peacefully than groups.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I think they love the company. You will need to determine what you are looking for long term. Another female guarantees no babies. A male will get you babies, but also you may need to get another female to help keep his advances spread out if he is overly amorous.

I would also suggest getting a tort that is as close to Gretta's size as possible to help keep the balance of power fair. One will be the dominant tort, but at least they will be on equal footing.

I am also a firm believer in quarantine periods. Better safe than sorry.

Allegra

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Im thinking I will be looking more for a female simply because I do not want to force Gretta to deal with a male all day, every day. :) Plus I do not want to incubate the eggs and stuff (as awesome as it would be to watch the babies grow and everything:) And I plan on getting another tort similar in size to Gretta because it simply seems more fair that way. As far as the quarantine period, honestly, I plan to quarantine, I just do not think I will do so for 6 months...since this one will be coming from the same place Gretta came from, it will be a captive breed redfoot. However, I do not want anything to happen to either of the torts, which is why I am not sure what I will do quite yet.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Sounds like you are getting a new tort :) I thought I would not get another Sulcata then I caved when I read about Lana. I guess they are like potato chips, you can't just have one.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I think that you have thought it out pretty well and I think Gretta would love someone to play with. :p I still can't get over what you posted about the hissing when she sees the cat. Too funny! :p I think Madkins is right about the quarantine though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.