Question about Business Liceneses

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I was looking over street fair applications, seller's permits, and business licenses, and came across the application for a California business license. It stated that anyone who holds a business in the state of California, including home-based businesses, must have a business license. Now, does this include someone who sells online? For example, I sell on Ebay and Etsy. Though I am not selling to the public literally outside my home, do I still need a business license since I am selling from out of my home, in the state of California?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
sammi, i believe the distinction here between a business and selling things out of your home is simply how much revenue you are generating from sales. get in touch with the SBA (sba.gov) to see what laws and regulations apply to you.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I too sell some things on Ebay, but do not hold a license. Josh was correct about how much revenue you generate is what plays a major role. It's not so much that has to do with a "business" but whether or not the IRS will consider that allotted money as items you are selling around the house or actually trying to make a living/business through selling on-line.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
sammi said:
I was looking over street fair applications, seller's permits, and business licenses, and came across the application for a California business license. It stated that anyone who holds a business in the state of California, including home-based businesses, must have a business license. Now, does this include someone who sells online? For example, I sell on Ebay and Etsy. Though I am not selling to the public literally outside my home, do I still need a business license since I am selling from out of my home, in the state of California?

How much do you want to give to the IRS? :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as little as possible

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
I see I see...so then am I still able to write off business expenses? I'm not earning much income yet, as I've just started selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.