New user: "Hello" and questions about young sulcatas growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKTort

5 Year Member
sibi said:
If the two torts are not males, and they get along, then there shouldn't be a problem. The store dealer probably doesn't know one thing about sulcatas' sex especially since you can't really tell until they are about 6 years old, or if one is a male, he may flash you. Having said that, you may consider building an enclosure with two levels so that each tort will have his/her own space. When they get bigger, and I mean BIGGER, what is your plan?

When they get too big for my small garden, they will be moved to my friend's place across the street (the friend who bought the tortoises). He has a large garden, and is ready to "tortoise-proof" it. He also doesn't care at all if they dig the place up... as long as his trees are safe. All of his trees are very large, and have withstood many typhoons, so we're guessing that they will also be able to withstand an battering that the tortoises may give them! He is from Hong Kong, so is permanently based here. He also has friends who have an animal sanctuary on a very large plot of land (they have reptiles there, amongst other animals, although no sulcatas). I mention this because the tortoises will definitely out-live him, and so if we're thinking of something in the distant future, there is a safe, happy and reliable place for the tortoises to go to.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
That's so great. You obviously thought this out and I'm touched that you are thinking years in advance. You're great!

HKTort said:
sibi said:
If the two torts are not males, and they get along, then there shouldn't be a problem. The store dealer probably doesn't know one thing about sulcatas' sex especially since you can't really tell until they are about 6 years old, or if one is a male, he may flash you. Having said that, you may consider building an enclosure with two levels so that each tort will have his/her own space. When they get bigger, and I mean BIGGER, what is your plan?

When they get too big for my small garden, they will be moved to my friend's place across the street (the friend who bought the tortoises). He has a large garden, and is ready to "tortoise-proof" it. He also doesn't care at all if they dig the place up... as long as his trees are safe. All of his trees are very large, and have withstood many typhoons, so we're guessing that they will also be able to withstand an battering that the tortoises may give them! He is from Hong Kong, so is permanently based here. He also has friends who have an animal sanctuary on a very large plot of land (they have reptiles there, amongst other animals, although no sulcatas). I mention this because the tortoises will definitely out-live him, and so if we're thinking of something in the distant future, there is a safe, happy and reliable place for the tortoises to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.