Predator question

turtlemanfla88

I had yellow foot tortoises kill a four foot black snake before I could save it. I saved a pygmy rattlesnake from my next door neighbor that though it was a garter snake and put on golf shoes to step on it. common sense is really not that common. In FLA alligators will climb over four or five foot fences once in awhile it will appear in our newspapers. I would not worry about snakes or alligators. I hope you have a lid to protect from birds. People in FLA loss more animals to birds because everyone is always worried about raccoons and mammals. I had squirrels try to drag a six inch hingeback out of its pen then go up a tree. I saved the tortoise and she was fine.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
You guys are just scaring me now. Guess they are getting their own super tortoise fort to keep everything out but the sun.
:D sorry! Point is, I think a larger tortoise with a large shell should be okay, but I would watch out for your little guy right now!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
A while back someone wrote on the Forum that because tortoises are cold-blooded, snakes wouldn't see them as food????????
I'm sorry...I really laughed out loud on this one & spilled coffee all over me!! I have to say I'm not in to Facebook (don't have one either) & all cuz I'm not a people person but because this has to do with tortoise & stuff...I'm really quite enjoying this forum!! I had the tortoise forum on my phone for 2 yrs but never signed up...I just kick myself in the butt.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Experienced snake keeper here! That is one thing I know well. Venomous or not, I doubt they'll show much interest in your torts. As for the gators, they don't USUALLY come up out of the water very far to hunt. If you live a good 500 ft or so from the water, unless you've got an abnormally starving group of crazy gators, I wouldn't worry too much. I'd be more worried about dogs, raccoons, and other warm-blooded inhabitants of that area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had yellow foot tortoises kill a four foot black snake before I could save it. I saved a pygmy rattlesnake from my next door neighbor that though it was a garter snake and put on golf shoes to step on it. common sense is really not that common. In FLA alligators will climb over four or five foot fences once in awhile it will appear in our newspapers. I would not worry about snakes or alligators. I hope you have a lid to protect from birds. People in FLA loss more animals to birds because everyone is always worried about raccoons and mammals. I had squirrels try to drag a six inch hingeback out of its pen then go up a tree. I saved the tortoise and she was fine.

Holy cow! It sounds like a total free-for-all over there!

turtlemanfla88

I would thaw out med rats and give them to my yellowfoots. One day the cable guy was doing something in my back yard and new to FLA so, I
s****ed with him when he saw tortoises running around with rats in their mouths. Welcome to Florida I told him. You should of seen his face.

Smile

5 Year Member
Just like @Tank'sMom said, I wouldn't worry about snakes getting to your turtle. The most they can do is bite it repeatedly if they show interest, but all snakes give up on their prey or don't show interest in them if they know they won't be able to kill or eat them. I'd be very afraid of alligators however... aren't turtles included in normal alligator diets?

Bighungry83

5 Year Member
I live by the river in New Orleans as well. No need to worry about the gators. They hardly ever cross the levee and River Rd. What worried me were the coons and neighbors dogs. I built an outdoor enclosure with a heavy top covered with wire mesh. That has worked great for the past couple years. Mine stays outside 24/7 during most of the year.

Bighungry83

5 Year Member
Gators should not be allowed access to you tortoise area. A low wall or fence should easily exclude them.
You crack me up Tom! We got to get you down da bayou. There ain't nothing easy when it comes to gators. They're even tough to chew ;-)

Jenblalock003

I live by the river in New Orleans as well. No need to worry about the gators. They hardly ever cross the levee and River Rd. What worried me were the coons and neighbors dogs. I built an outdoor enclosure with a heavy top covered with wire mesh. That has worked great for the past couple years. Mine stays outside 24/7 during most of the year.

Do you mind sending me a picture? I'm right by River Road too. And yes I agree the raccoons are a concern too. Ty! You make me feel better.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
I posted these on another thread: raccoon proof.
cb3fa143dbf24fd614773feea18d886c_zps1d7bc752.jpg

eb1f7c8de0fc1b16e37c355d37f3d483_zpsdc750536.jpg

6161e6f734b321557ba04068dd08ed8e_zps2fc94e81.jpg

1fd9ba7241af0f07316651c00664bd77_zps911da636.jpg

e6a37d9b475869de435eddd1f3ef1ec2_zps34fa2ce5.jpg

6be795671f3e19e4a961571da8e427cf_zpsb7360dea.jpg