Outdoor habitat, predator proofing

Mariah717

Hello everyone!
I am working on building an outdoor enclosure for my sulcata. She is 4 years old and about 11 inches. I've been keeping her inside and just taking her out under supervision but I feel that she is big enough she should be out full time.
My question is how secure does the enclosure need to be? I live in a neighborhood but there is still the risk of loose dogs, raccoons, and other predators. Would a 4 or 5 foot fence be enough? Or maybe do something with top? If I add a top I think that would limit how big her space can be so I would rather not.
I plan on doing a Tom style nightbox and making sure she goes in each night.
I live in Oklahoma by the way.

Zantino1

Location (City and/or State)
Redlands
Most people do chicken wire above their enclosure to keep it safe from predators from above
Then usually have a wall of bricks, cinder blocks, or wood to keep them in the enclosure and other creatures out

Mariah717

Also I have not lived in this house very long and there are no weeds so I assume the previous owners sprayed the yard. Should I rip out the grass in her space and try to grow new grass from seed?

Zantino1

Redlands
Also I have not lived in this house very long and there are no weeds so I assume the previous owners used pesticides. Should I rip out the grass in her space and try to grow new grass from seed?

I would plant some new grass and get rid of the old grass as the pesticides could be in soil and grass for a year or more
But a Sulcata needs to graze so if You have a Albertsons or any pet store nearby (preferably Albertsons) they are usually selling wheatgrass which you could buy and cut in her enclosure so she has the option to roam and eat

Mariah717

The chicken wire looks like a pretty easy way to keep critters out, thank you for that suggestion. I've just noticed a lot of other posts of enclosures hear don't have anything on top. Maybe they just have a secure yard around the tort pen? I dont know it would make me nervous.
I've actually got wheatgrass growing in trays for her indoor space now, so that would be pretty easy to continue.

Zantino1

Redlands
The chicken wire looks like a pretty easy way to keep critters out, thank you for that suggestion. I've just noticed a lot of other posts of enclosures hear don't have anything on top. Maybe they just have a secure yard around the tort pen? I dont know it would make me nervous.
I've actually got wheatgrass growing in trays for her indoor space now, so that would be pretty easy to continue.

There’s nothing wrong with being too safe with animals
Most people have an indoor and outdoor enclosure for the tortoises so they get some sun and aren’t vulnerable to predators for the entire day
At your size yes I would believe it is time to go outside full time you could get Toms opinion on it @Tom

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
IMG_4105.jpg

Here’s he type of fence I have. It’s sturdy and keep my big dog out. I bought it in pieces from my local Feedstore. I then bought T posts to keep it tied together and sturdy. It’s held up well for 3+ years so far.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here’s he type of fence I have. It’s sturdy and keep my big dog out. I bought it in pieces from my local Feedstore. I then bought T posts to keep it tied together and sturdy. It’s held up well for 3+ years so far.
That is one fantastic looking tortoise Blake. You did a great job raising him. Or her? I can't remember now...

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You don't usually need anything on the top when your tortoise is big enough. I don't have to worry about a bird picking up my 100 pound tortoise. We get a lot of cats in our yard but they don't bother Charlie. Sometimes we have opossums but they only come at night.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
That is one fantastic looking tortoise Blake. You did a great job raising him. Or her? I can't remember now...

Thanks Tom! Dexter gained 18 pounds in the last year, HE just turned 6.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Blake, never mind your fencing! Is that your baby girl? She is a cutie!

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I have a hardware cloth enclosure which does have a roof on top. I had to learn about the raccoon danger because one got into my yard and killed a box turtle. What I learned is that they will climb in if there is no roof, according to the wildlife experts I spoke with,. and there is no wall thats tall enough to keep out raccoons. There is the same concern with coyotes (not that they can climb), but they can jump over very high walls. And watch for gaps- they can get in there too.