Please Help-hibernation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
I'm trying to ready Bella for hibernation. I have her in a large plastic container with a mixture of sandy and dirt from my yard (where she took off last year and hibernated on her own) Is this set up ok? It is in the corner of my front porch. The brick is to keep the little stinker from climbing out cause she is really good at escaping.
hiber2.jpg

hiber1.jpg

hiber3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Please Help

Hi Cloud:

How cold will it get on your porch?

I don't like to use plastic or substrate for my desert tortoises or for my Russians. Reason for not using the plastic is condensation on the inside of the tub. You want it to be perfectly dry for them during hibernation. So I use cardboard boxes. That's why I use shredded newspaper instead of soil too. The paper is dry whereas the soil is a bit moist.

The first year I had Russian tortoises I let them hibernate outside. That would have been fine, because they dig down deep enough not to freeze, however, it gets very wet here during the winter. Too much rain. I lost quite a few Russians that winter. Ever since then, I box them up in shredded paper and put them in an old vacant house on the back of my property.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Thank you for answering cause I'm so concerned about this......OK, so I need a cardboard box with lots of shredded newspaper in it.....then should I put it in my shed? It's not heated, my hubby has computers out there for his flight Sim and the stuff like that...we get down to 0 a few days and sometimes maybe a bit below....were Winslow AZ...northeastern part of the state, last year she climbed out of her enclosure and thought she was gone but there she was in the yard crawling towards the house come spring......it's not too wet here really, our rainfall average is pathetic here.....

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Drill some 1/4" holes in the bottom for drainage. Shed is better to block the wind.

My Greeks are two and I plan to hibernate them this year in an unheated garage. No cars.

Is it time to turn off all the lights but one and prepare them for the Winter? They are eating a pound of spring mix a day which means they're clocks are counting down.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they need to go without food for at least a week before they go under.. otherwise undigested food sits in thier gut..
watch the weather.. if its going to be warm.. and they want to eat.. feed them.. and dont forget a good warm soak..

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Right on. Always headed that warning when I hibernated the Snappers in the wine cellar.

What's the trigger temperature for our Testudo? It was 50F for the Snappers.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would add....if you do the shed thing, I would make certain no rodents/other critters can get in their and harm your sleeping tort....I would do a box within a box if your temps get that cold....big box then insulation then smaller box and additional insulation and not set directly on concrete ground unless you use a buffer between the concrete and the bottom of the box....IMHO :D

sorry....in my first sentence I forgot the word "box" after "their".... :D

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
My lows could get down to upper 20s. In an unheated garage It'll stay above freezing. I'm going to monitor the temps once I see lows in the 40s. Going to be a while for that cold.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
LadyV said:
Thank you for answering cause I'm so concerned about this......OK, so I need a cardboard box with lots of shredded newspaper in it.....then should I put it in my shed? It's not heated, my hubby has computers out there for his flight Sim and the stuff like that...we get down to 0 a few days and sometimes maybe a bit below....were Winslow AZ...northeastern part of the state, last year she climbed out of her enclosure and thought she was gone but there she was in the yard crawling towards the house come spring......it's not too wet here really, our rainfall average is pathetic here.....

Good advice in this thread about hibernation boxes, etc. If you hibernate her, the spot you pick should not go below freezing, or the tort can be damaged or die.
In the wild, they burrow below the frost line (they know). Even then, a few may not make it out.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Yeah them temps seem like they maybe a bit cold imo, and something about using bricks make me very worried, plastic tends to get brittle with age, at least mine did..

Status
Not open for further replies.