HELP WITH BELLA!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
She came out of hibernation a while back, she was eating well, I was giving her her soaks...then went back into hibernation....I've periodically checked on her....now she is awake, and moving her head around but not coming out from under her log, I turn her light on, there's a heating pad under the container......what should I do? Take her out and soak her, leave her alone...I'm worried about her

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Take her out and soak her in some warm water. Check your temps to make sure they are warm enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just for your own education, tortoises that come out of hibernation (brumation) and eat, don't then go back into brumation. A tortoise stops eating before brumation so there won't be any food in the digestive tract to rot. So if your tortoise woke up and ate, then stopped coming out, there's something else wrong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes and go over all your tortoise-keeping and tortoise set up to see if there's something that needs to be tweeked a bit. Just start from scratch and check it all over.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Ok..I gave her a good warm soak....fresh water the whole bit....she didn't seem to be able to move her back legs at first in the water...but after a little bit, she was just fine...she is right now chomping down some veggies.....I've asked this before without an answer...how often should I be giving her the little nuggets, I usually wet them down mash em up and mix them in her food about once a week........is that too often, ok, or should it be more?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
By "nuggets" do you mean Mazuri? If so, once a week is fine. Glad to hear she is doing better. Keep her warm enough to keep eating!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as the dark, leafy greens are the majority of her diet, it really doesn't matter how often you feed a manufactured food.

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
Yes...the Mazuri...she ate all of her food....she didn't defecate or pee during her soak. She is now right back under her log, not on top basking...it very nice out today warm and sunny about 72...then we have snow and rain coming in the next couple days :rolleyes: think i should take her out to crawl around in the yard for awhile?

LadyV

5 Year Member
Winslow AZ
well...the little stinker has buried herself again completely covered over....I took her out yesterday and let her be out in the sun for a bit, not to long since she hasn't been moving around for awhile, I didn't want to over do her.....is this normal behavior?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
What are your temps? How long are you leaving lights on for her?

Status
Not open for further replies.