Early hibernation

Tessa5756

Location (City and/or State)
Grays
Hi everyone I am new to the forum but I need some expert advice.
i have a 25 year old Horsfield tortoise. She has hibernated every year Since I had her in the greenhouse. But last year she refused to hibernate so I over wintered her indoors. She has been out in the garden since April eating well but she stopped eating about a month ago and has now gone into hibernation. I am not sure what is going on and need to know do I leave her be for a few months or should I did her up??
thanks
teresa

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
not hibernating , there are no cues to bring about a turtle or tortoise to hibernate right now in the northern hemisphere ........ if it is extremely hot and dry they do estivate , it would take some extreme conditions to keep them down for a prolonged period ...... the fact you recognize abnormal behavior for an animal you are familiar with , myself i'd dig him up soak him and get him eating ........ i have seen not hibernating a turtle that normally hibernates will throw them off for the first month or so in the spring when put outside , i've seen them dig back down and stay down past when they should be out , but they do get back to normal by this late in the summer .....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My group of Russians have also dug in and "disappeared." It has been very hot these last few days, and my tortoises are estivating. This is similar to hibernation/brumation. They just dig down and wait for the weather to cool down a bit before becoming active again. However, if you think there's something different going on with your tortoise, you can always bring it back inside and keep a close eye on it for a while, or maybe take it to the vet for a check up.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
if your weather has been hot and dry , try soaking down his enclosure with the hose a couple times a day ....... see if artificial rain will bring him out ..... rain is something that naturally brings them out of estivation .....

Oregon
if your weather has been hot and dry , try soaking down his enclosure with the hose a couple times a day ....... see if artificial rain will bring him out ..... rain is something that naturally brings them out of estivation .....
How do you simulate rain?