Plant ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mert

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I want to grow a plant that will eventually cover the fence in my cdt enclosure outside. Give more privacy so no one can look through and something he would like to eat. I was thinking maybe climbing roses. Does anyone have any ideas of anything else that would work well?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Grapes. Also check out thetortoisetable.org for edible plants. Look for the ones that looks like they are climbers and see if they are safe.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree - grapes or climbing roses. Depending on where the fence is, I like to grow bouganvilla on the outside fences to keep predators (meaning people) out! I'm not sure if they're supposed to eat the flowers, but mine do with no issues.

Mert

5 Year Member
California
Thanks for the responses! Grapes is a good idea.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Im not sure if they are ediable for cdt, but i would plant mulberry tree

Mert

5 Year Member
California
Thanks guys! I got seedless grapes for one area and a climbing rose for the other. He doesnt like the grape leaves. I have one picky tortoise. Haha. I also ordered the mulberry tree! Just need a yellow hibiscus and my seeds i ordered then i will be finally done!

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
hibiscus is really great. i have a red one in the back yard xD just remember they can get up to 10 feet tall lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I first moved to this house about 15 years ago, I worried about anyone looking over the fence and seeing my tortoises. I'm on a corner, and there is a 30' set back rule where fences within 30' of the street can only be 3' tall. So I got busy and killed all the vegetation on the outside of the fence and when I was down to bare dirt, I planted my cactus garden there. So, unless you want to risk getting stuck by the cactus, you won't go looking over my fence.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
LeaderLeprechaun said:
hibiscus is really great. i have a red one in the back yard xD just remember they can get up to 10 feet tall lol

What kind?

Mert said:
Thanks guys! I got seedless grapes for one area and a climbing rose for the other. He doesnt like the grape leaves. I have one picky tortoise. Haha. I also ordered the mulberry tree! Just need a yellow hibiscus and my seeds i ordered then i will be finally done!

None of mine would touch a grape leaf years ago, but still I planted them. I also kept adding them to the diet. Eventually they came around to eating the grape leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.