Digging prevention ideas

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
So I'm enlarging my outdoor Russian tortoise enclosure and am bouncing around ideas to prevent them from digging out. Does anyone have any ideas on what worked best or didn't work at all?

They are currently outside now and I haven't had any issues with them digging out, but I am in Texas so our ground is hard and difficult for them to dig deep into along the fence line but in the fall and spring it is softer.

The sides will be wooden, I've thought about digging it into the ground some, or putting some fencing right underground. Ideas greatly appreciated!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
Why are they digging in? You can add send and hides help them from digging. Also dog the fence line in. Why not put a layer of soil and sand mix on top of the Texas clay. That way they dig into the top soil and not so much the ground soil ..

Kyle

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
Right now they aren't digging too much, but I did have a female surprise me and lay a clutch of eggs right along the fence line.

I'd rather have some type of prevention in place since I know Russians are big diggers rather than just risk it. Lining the entire perimeter with sand/topsoil is something I hadn't thought much about. Thanks, I think that would probably work well.