Food idea thoughts

We have a trellis connected to the porch that we finally took out the bushes around it and am wanting to plant something there next spring. Any ideas on what climbing plant/flower I can plant there that is ok for Geronimo to eat? He is a Hermann. Other ideas besides a climbing rose bush. We have a lot of roses already.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
We have a trellis connected to the porch that we finally took out the bushes around it and am wanting to plant something there next spring. Any ideas on what climbing plant/flower I can plant there that is ok for Geronimo to eat? He is a Hermann. Other ideas besides a climbing rose bush. We have a lot of roses already.
A vine? They grow well and torts like the leaves.
See www.thetortoisetable.org.uk for tort safe plants.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I go along with a grape vine , they are high in calcium and Speedy just loves them ! We had a huge grape vine when we lived in Wisconsin and it always did well in spite of the frigid winters ! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
another Vote for great plan. Mine has been providing free food for 15 plus years

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I believe there are several cold hardy varieties. I would try Valiant.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I eat the grapes myself best damn grapes you'll ever have

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
We used to have tons of grapes ! my wife used to make all kinds of grape jelly and jam , she even canned up a bunch of grape juice one year ! I even made some wine , vintage stuff even better than ripple "Pagan Pink" ! As you can see I am a connoisseur ! :D Still had tons of Tort leaves !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
die off or go dormant?

In areas near here where it doesn't get too cold, I see them green and growing all year long. Up hear, the whole thing dies off completely. No signs of life. Every spring it sends up a few weak shoots, but it never really comes back. It just sort of lingers for the summer and then dies back again.

So technically, I suppose we could call it dormancy, but since the plant fails to thrive any time of year, I call it dying off. Just a little south of here, they survive and grow into giant bushes.