Picky Tort Troubles

Rhiannon

Hi everyone! I'm having trouble with a picky tort. I have a 15-year-old female Hermann's, Henrietta, living in a 4x8 (I think) open tortoise table with a heat/UV lamp in one corner, a big bathing and drinking dish, plants, dirt, rocks, etc. She's been super happy and healthy for the three years I've had her. I've been feeding her weeds I researched and picked outside along my property line, flowers and leaves I pick from my hibiscus plants, and various other things I grow in my garden for her. In the winter when nothing grows, I've gotten her organically grown dandelion leaves from the grocery store.

She ate everything I put in front of her until a few months ago, when my husband had to have a serious surgery and my sister took care of my tort for a week. I didn't have anything picked or prepared, so Henrietta just ate romaine lettuce from the store for that week - not a great choice, I know, but I figured we could just go back to normal afterward.

Now, she literally stomps on all of the healthy food I put down for her. I try day after day, but she refuses to eat it. It's summer here, so I've tried all of her old favorites from outside. When I get worried she's never going to eat again, I break down and give her lettuce; she eats it immediately, then goes to sit under her lamp, all happy. What gives? I'd worry she was sick if she didn't seem to have a great appetite for "junk food." Is this just a battle of wills? Should I wait it out, no matter how long it takes? Any help would be much appreciated!

Maitaimommy

Location (City and/or State)
Love the name! Henrietta the Hermann:D
Have you tried mixing other things with the Romaine?
My Tort loves radiccio, chicory, organic clover sprouts and the occasional piece of fruit or sliver of carrot.
Overtime, you can try mixing less of the romaine and continuing to add a variety of fresh veggies. I am now in the process of trying to add certain flowers to my guys diet. You seem knowledgeable and have certainly done your research:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yup, it's a battle of wills.
You are tougher than her and must wait it out.
They can go a long long time without food and she will eat when she gets hungry enough, if everything else is okay.
It's the same with children, they would eat junk food all day but we must ensure they eat good food however horrible they make think it is and however mean they think you are.
You must be stronger than the tortoise. :)

Rhiannon

Love the name! Henrietta the Hermann:D
Have you tried mixing other things with the Romaine?
My Tort loves radiccio, chicory, organic clover sprouts and the occasional piece of fruit or sliver of carrot.
Overtime, you can try mixing less of the romaine and continuing to add a variety of fresh veggies. I am now in the process of trying to add certain flowers to my guys diet. You seem knowledgeable and have certainly done your research:)
I'll try mixing things together! Good call.

Do you get clover sprouts from the grocery store? I didn't know torts could eat sprouts!

Rhiannon

Yup, it's a battle of wills.
You are tougher than her and must wait it out.
They can go a long long time without food and she will eat when she gets hungry enough, if everything else is okay.
It's the same with children, they would eat junk food all day but we must ensure they eat good food however horrible they make think it is and however mean they think you are.
You must be stronger than the tortoise. :)
Okay, I'm going to be stronger than that tort! When you say they can go a long time without food, how long are you thinking? I've waited five days already before giving in with the romaine...

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They can go for weeks without food if necessary.
If you offer a good variety of other foods and ensure your temps are correct, she will eat, she's obviously happy to eat when offered romaine, so you must stop the romaine.

Rhiannon

They can go for weeks without food if necessary.
If you offer a good variety of other foods and ensure your temps are correct, she will eat, she's obviously happy to eat when offered romaine, so you must stop the romaine.
Okay, thank you; that's really helpful. I'm on it.