Flipping Over

SamMV

Location (City and/or State)
California
My tortoise hatchling occasionally flips herself over. I just came home from work and she was on her back, struggling really hard to right herself. She was right under her lamp, and I can tell she was struggling for a while. I currently have her soaking, to help rehydrate her. She keeps making these little squeak noises (like after they finish drinking and blow out bubbles) and I'm worried she maybe inhaled stomach acid or something while upside down?

I'm freaking out! She's alert and active, but has never flipped under her lamp before or made noises afterward. Our nearest exotic vet is almost 90 minutes away.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They usually are fine. A good warm soak is the best first thing to do.
If you have things in the enclosure she can climb on to make her flip remove them. I pic of the enclosure would be helpful for us to offer additional help.
Keep a close eye on her for now and see if she acts normal the next few days.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
How large is the enclosure? Sometimes if it is too small they will flip themselves trying to escape.

SamMV

California
She's in a huge wooden enclosure. It's 3 feet by 2 feet, and has an upper level and ground level. But I've noticed that when I feed her things she doesn't feel like eating, she gets really active, and those are the days she tends to flip herself over. I guess she's in search of something more apealling.

Is there any way of preventing them from flipping, or making it so she can flip herself back over? I read somewhere that you can glue a piece of eraser in the middle of their shell, and that will help prevent them from going flat on their back. Has anyone heard of this?