Getting your tort used to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgately

5 Year Member
I've had my Russian for a little over two weeks. She's still a little skiddish around me. Well, more like she doesn't want anything to do with me...
I got her Petsmart and am aware that they're caught in the wild for most pet stores.
I've been talking to her, to get her used to my voice, and she knows I'm talking to her. She'll look up at me from her enclosure and stretch her neck out. I try to hold her, but she hates it (yes, I do hold her the proper way; I always secure her feet). I can't hand feed her or anything.

Does anyone have any tips for me? I found out that she's 3-8 years old. So me coming along and her not really used to any kind of human contact is a big change for her.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I can recommend nothing more than patience and being gentle. You're doing the right things.

Don't stop handling her.

A routine helps new torts to settle so she knows what to expect and when... something like lights and heat on, Soak, Feed to start the day the same way every day.

Even after 42 years Joe isn't great on the hand feeding! He's tried to eat my finger once too often when I have food for him! He seems to quite enjoy a gentle stroke under the chin, but it's a long time since he got caught in the wild!

BigPavelski8

5 Year Member
Toronto,Canada
I have owned my redfoot for a month and he seems to enjoy flipping himself over when I'm home but behaves fine left alone all day. It's kinda funny and also strange.

mgately

5 Year Member
Joesmum: thanks! I'm trying, but she doesn't seem to budge!

BigPavelski8: that is pretty weird!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Time, all it takes is time, russians are very personable so once he warms up you will be amazed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Two weeks is still pretty quick for torts to adapt to new surroundings, especially if they are recent wild caught. Your tort probably didn't get the best care on its journey from the wild to the store; imagine how frightening that was. The poor thing is probably traumatised.

Six weeks isn't unusual for settling and make sure you stick to that routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.