Pic Of My MALE Leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Your guy's growth looks great, Tom.

However, guesses are meaningless when it comes to data and statistics should not be fabricated. The practice reduces the value of information severely.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
we could start the research here on this site. How many of us have split scute torts and what is the confirmed sex of said split scute.

I have 0.0.1 split scute myself...

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Zamric said:
we could start the research here on this site. How many of us have split scute torts and what is the confirmed sex of said split scute.

I have 0.0.1 split scute myself...

Yeah, this site is far from controlled despite belief.

How many times do people swear up and down the sex of their animal is x and then realize sometime later that it is y? Heck, some people on here do not even realize the differences between Russians and Greeks or ploughshares and box turtles or slider subspecies or a bunch of other examples.

You have one animal of undetermined sex that has a split scute. It cannot be added to the data pool until sex is confirmed.

Since split scutes can be induced at elevated temperatures, and elevated temperatures tend to produce more females, they are correlated. However, you cannot just look at split scute versus not. One must look at gender within split scutes and, if we are going to take it all the way, incubation temperature. That would yield more useful data. In terms of just the two factors (splits scutes and sex), we could aggregate what we have. However, as I mentioned, this would be very poorly controlled and subject to incorrect conclusions based on firm beliefs being substituted for facts. This is why an internet poll is not a viable substitute for controlled research. In surveys, every male has a bigger than average phallus, every female has a lower weight than the scale declares, every respondent makes more money than the average earner, and so on. You can try to value it, but it is pretty much valueless and any conclusions are likely specious.

You have to incubate a lot of clutches for female to see it with regularity and numbers, but that is do-able. Even when I lightly tracked such things, I would not go so far as to say specific percentages as being the norm. I might have no split scute animals one season, some the next, none the next after that, and so on. Likewise, some may, through mere probability, end up being male and others female. The number of times this has happened to me with marginated tortoises, for example, is ridiculous.

In short, temperature and split scutes are linked. Temperature and sex are linked. Sex and split scutes are not causally linked. Fabrication of statistics based on incomplete information and a lot of guesses makes said statistics unreliable for predictive power.

I applaud what you intend to do with your idea, but I see the limitations very, very often.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wayyyyyy to many words there Baoh. I don't think anyone here expects to ever see a definitive, 100% certain, scientifically proven and re-proven exact percentage.

Speaking for myself, and possibly others, I would like to just have a rough estimate of how often a split scuted tortoise is female. This is really just for fun and interesting tortoise conversation. Not looking to end world hunger or cure cancer with these "guesstimated" numbers. Just having some casual fun and talking tortoises with friends on an internet forum.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:
Jacqui, are you seeing this? The exceptions are building...

Just saw it and yes, I told you there were male splits out there and from both the wild and captive breeding. :p Me, I don't care when I get split scutes if they are male or female, I like the split scutes because they add a new and unique dimension to the animal.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Jacqui said:
Tom said:
Jacqui, are you seeing this? The exceptions are building...

Just saw it and yes, I told you there were male splits out there and from both the wild and captive breeding. :p Me, I don't care when I get split scutes if they are male or female, I like the split scutes because they add a new and unique dimension to the animal.

Me too Jacqui! Tom, that is an exceptionally smooth and great looking leopard you have there, well done!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I have a split scute male. He's not a pardalis pardalis but still split scute, and all boy. Very aggressive at that. His name is ramy mcramerson loves to ram EVERYTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.