Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
krb6p.jpg

This is my biggest fastest growing 2010 South African Leopard. Because of the split scutes, I incorrectly guessed this one a female, but a few weeks ago she showed me that she was really a HE. This is the second time I have seen him mount another tortoise, but he's not even 2 years old. Didn't have the camera the first time. He's around 1400 grams and 8" long.

The breeder told me about a super duper breeder male that he used to have. The thing was huge and very aggressive, like a typical sulcata male. He couldn't keep any other males with it and "it bounced from female to female like a pinball..." That one was either the father or grandfather of this one. I worried that I would get no males or that my males would be too passive. I guess I can stop worrying... :D

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Tom said:
This is my biggest fastest growing 2010 South African Leopard. Because of the split scutes, I incorrectly guessed this one a female, but a few weeks ago she showed me that she was really a HE. This is the second time I have seen him mount another tortoise, but he's not even 2 years old. Didn't have the camera the first time. He's around 1400 grams and 8" long.

The breeder told me about a super duper breeder male that he used to have. The thing was huge and very aggressive, like a typical sulcata male. He couldn't keep any other males with it and "it bounced from female to female like a pinball..." That one was either the father or grandfather of this one. I worried that I would get no males or that my males would be too passive. I guess I can stop worrying... :D

Congratulations Tom!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Edna said:
Gotta love the look on that little girl's face! Huh??

I was just about to say that the look of pure joy on the male's face mixed with the utter boredom on the female's cracks me up :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Let us know if you get any teeny tiny hatchlings.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. They are beautiful leopards. Can't wait to see how big he gets when he is older and the little cuties hopefully you will be getting(fingers crossed):D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is VERY premature. He's not even two years old yet. The breeder told me that they can breed as early as 6-7 years old, so I've got some time...

And I have no idea if the object of his affection is male or female. They all still look the same, although a few of them seem to be starting to get a little bit concave on the plastron...

Neal said:
Let us know if you get any teeny tiny hatchlings.

... teeny tiny hatchlings... Funny Neal. Funny.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Nice! I have some basin yellowfoots that did that around 3 years old, nowhere close to breeding age or size. Weird how sometimes that happens with strong breeders. Hes gonna be a good one.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's pretty funny at such a young age :D, but I'm curious. My understanding is that g.p.b. males are ready to breed at 7"-8". That usually takes 5-6 years for them to get that size, but as with most reptiles, size is more imortant than age. Is this guy growing at the normal rate for a G.p.p.?

Just wondering if he could breed at that size. If they don't normally breed until 6-7 years, how big is the typical G.p.p. male at that age?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JeffG said:
That's pretty funny at such a young age :D, but I'm curious. My understanding is that g.p.b. males are ready to breed at 7"-8". That usually takes 5-6 years for them to get that size, but as with most reptiles, size is more imortant than age. Is this guy growing at the normal rate for a G.p.p.?

Just wondering if he could breed at that size. If they don't normally breed until 6-7 years, how big is the typical G.p.p. male at that age?

Your questions really made me stop and think. I emailed the breeder to ask him typical sizes and ages and what size they usually breed at.

I don't know what "normal" size would be. Everyone that I know has always raised them dry and pyramided, so whatever "normal" used to be, ours are going to be quite different I think. Everyone on this forum is raising them with a lot of hydration, and I think most are using a lot of humidity too. Seems like the "average" for all of the ones out of this batch is between 600 and 1000 grams at around two years. Dennis has a couple that are way bigger than this, Tico is bigger, and Tess has some big ones too. I think my group is pretty much in the middle of the range for all the ones that I have been able to keep track of.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I also forgot to say those two are gorgeous! Extremely smooth for that size. It is just amazing to me that they can be that big at that age. Of course I only have G.p.b., but still, mine didn't get that size until 5-6 years. That is a huge difference in the growth rate between the two sub-species.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JeffG said:
I also forgot to say those two are gorgeous! Extremely smooth for that size. It is just amazing to me that they can be that big at that age. Of course I only have G.p.b., but still, mine didn't get that size until 5-6 years. That is a huge difference in the growth rate between the two sub-species.

Haven't you seen Tico and Hrothgar?(spelling? Sorry Dennis) Both of them look even better than mine, I think. I guess everybodies have turned out pretty darn well.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
CAPTIVE EVOLUTION...You gotta love it! When he matures...he's gonna be BADASS!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Nice. I haven't seen that here yet. I'm going to have to have a talk with the boys.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been informed that mine aren't the only ones of this bunch that are doing this now.

Status
Not open for further replies.