Petco Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Grand Forks
The Petco here in Grand Forks has had these two Russians for the past month and a half and they are on sale for $69. Their enclosure is a Ten Gallon tank and there Temp gauge says 83 degrees... With frozen vegetables in their dish...Not being taken care of properly. But what I'm getting at is do you guys think if I went in there and offered $100 for both they would sell them to me? I have heard from others that they will barter with you, but what do you guys think? And how would I go about it?

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Georgetown/Hutto/Austin,Tx
Unfortunately I would say no..with places like Petco it's really not up to the employees to barter anything and money is usually the sole objective to having the tortoise in the first place.Losing money isn't really their game if it doesn't get sold where you are at they will be moved to a different Petco and so on and so forth.By the way I have two Russians here at my Petco here in Georgetown Tx as well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Petco is a corporation so I doubt they would be willing/able to bargain. I am quite honestly surprised that they are stiil there, my local petco's usually sell them out in less than a month.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The managers at chain stores sometimes have some leeway but its not likely. But it couldn't hurt to try.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree it could not hurt to ask, but don't get your hopes up.

M

Maggie Cummings

My Petco takes really good care of their tortoises. Maybe if you said something they would change the way they treat those torts. The ones here are kept in a large hexagon tank, very big and seriously enough room. They are feed fruity pebbles and produce, they are clean and like I said well kept. Maybe a complaint to corporate would help.

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
Interesting mine(My Petco) are kept as the OP describe in a 20 gallon tank (not a tank expert as i have never owned one)and when I see them they never have food so I can't comment on what they are fed.the two Russians look about juvenile age an they usually just sit on opposite ends of the tank with little activity.I have mentioned to the employees and even suggested websites to better care but nothing has changed.If I have the room and the money I would just buy them. :/

View attachment 13444

image-3559962878.png

image-320563782.png

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
The question you need to ask yourself is: why would you buy the tortoises? Is it because you really want to have two russian tortoises? Or is it just because you feel sorry for those two and you want to rescue them?

If the answer is the latter, then I would have to say, pass. Its difficult, I know, but if you did happen to buy them, that store would just order one or two more tortoises to occupy the same abyssmal 10-gall with the frozen veggies and improper temps. You would just be perpetuating the cycle.
------------
I'm sorry, I'm still kinda in a funk about my recent RF passing, and all these threads popping about petstores really get me going.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
My petsitter works at petco..and she was telling me the other day that they have had a Russian tort on display for over 7 month and the manager wants it gone..I asked her how much they wanted and she said $89 but they will go lower....So I guess they might negotiate..

sulcatababies1402

5 Year Member
ShiningSnakes said:
The question you need to ask yourself is: why would you buy the tortoises? Is it because you really want to have two russian tortoises? Or is it just because you feel sorry for those two and you want to rescue them?

If the answer is the latter, then I would have to say, pass. Its difficult, I know, but if you did happen to buy them, that store would just order one or two more tortoises to occupy the same abyssmal 10-gall with the frozen veggies and improper temps. You would just be perpetuating the cycle.
------------
I'm sorry, I'm still kinda in a funk about my recent RF passing, and all these threads popping about petstores really get me going.

I'm sorry for your loss and you are right by buying the torts you are only telling them that they are indeed sellable and no changes will be made.Vicious cycle :/

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
This is insulting to you, so I'm sorry, but I also want to help;
I think you need an older adult, who can act like they have a lot of knowledge. If they can put the employee in their place, in a polite way. If they can prove to the employee that the Tortoises will be in a better place with him/her. I believe that you could definetly get the animals for the price you offer.

Of course, the problem would be to convince the Petco NOT to order more Russians.

I was at a Petco the other day and the Salesgirl had just got an order of reptiles. She was about to put a smaller Milk snake in with another milk snake. I explained to her that she will eventully have only one snake in their, since milk snakes love to eat other snakes. She offered to sell me the small milk snake for $20. I laughed at her since my wife has a serious snake phobia. So anythings possible at Petco.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I'd start at $100, if they shoot u down go to $110, $120.. they will probably take $120, if u can not pay more than $100, but u truly want a tortoise then just buy one, give him a good long life

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I've heard some people have been able to get them free/lower price when they know the manager/a worker.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
gopherhockey03 said:
The Petco here in Grand Forks has had these two Russians for the past month and a half and they are on sale for $69. Their enclosure is a Ten Gallon tank and there Temp gauge says 83 degrees... With frozen vegetables in their dish...Not being taken care of properly. But what I'm getting at is do you guys think if I went in there and offered $100 for both they would sell them to me? I have heard from others that they will barter with you, but what do you guys think? And how would I go about it?

even if they did bargain with you and sold you the torts... all that proves to them is that they need to get more to replace the ones they sold to you-in probably with the same ignorant setup & inefficient care. i do not like chain pet stores selling exotics.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My experience is they will indeed bargain with you, atleast the ones I have talked with.

While it is true they may "restock" those tortoises, why should the two right there in front of you suffer because of what might be? You may not be able to stop them from stocking more, even if you fail to buy these two. You can however, make a huge difference in the lives of these two.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
Honestly I wouldn't buy an animal from Petco. Last week I was in one and we took a look at all the pets and noticed a guinea pig that was very active. He was hiding in the dome house just sitting there. I noticed his eye wasn't looking very good and I kept saying the animal didn't look good at all. All the employees ignored what I was saying and went about what ever they wanted to do. I told my wife I would never buy a pet from them. Petsmart always seems to have healthy animals whenever I go in there.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
The worst that can happen is that they'll say no, so if you're serious and really want a russian tortoise.. why not? Offer them a buy one get the other free and see where it gets you. Probably won't happen, but it's a good place to start.

From what I hear, most pet chains really only break even from selling animals. The real money is in supplies, food, etc. If the tortoises have been there long enough, they may sell them at a loss just to get them out of stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.