Penny The Box Turtle

Michael Naz

Penny is a Female Florida Box Turtle. When she got too big, her former owners set her into the wild (never do that!). I found her in the middle of the road nearby inside her shell. I took her home and now she's part of the family! I don't know much about turtles, but this forum really helped me (especially when she laid an egg!), so thanks to you all who respond to posts. She currently resides in Florida. She enjoys fruit, Rep-Cal Box Turtle Food, and lettuce.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
How do know someone let her go and she's just not a wild turtle?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Can we see pictures of Penny??? From your profile pic, she looks beautiful!

Michael Naz

How do know someone let her go and she's just not a wild turtle?
When we picked her up, I intended to let her free on my property (I live on a 40-acre horse ranch with a lake). However we looked up the differences between domesticated and wild turtles from various sources and she was domesticated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When we picked her up, I intended to let her free on my property (I live on a 40-acre horse ranch with a lake). However we looked up the differences between domesticated and wild turtles from various sources and she was domesticated.

I can vouch for that info. I was lucky enough to have Florida box turtles hatch on my property. The adult pair (that I was babysitting at the time) were both wild caught. I kept two of the babies and they grew up to look very different from the wild caught parents. I have a male/male picture someplace. I'll see if I can find it.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

I've never noticed a difference and I've been keeping for many many years.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I've never noticed a difference and I've been keeping for many many years.

I can pick up a wild one almost every day in the road and haven't seen any signs that tell me it's any different than ones that have been CB here.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I can vouch for that info. I was lucky enough to have Florida box turtles hatch on my property. The adult pair (that I was babysitting at the time) were both wild caught. I kept two of the babies and they grew up to look very different from the wild caught parents. I have a male/male picture someplace. I'll see if I can find it.
I cant, but I can see where an experienced keeper like you could but for someone with their first turtle, I would think its almost impossible

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I understand, but my CB have dug under, fallen off rocks and scratched theirs shells up just like wild ones, several of my ornates are over 15 years and their shells looks worse than several wild ones I have. You said this one didn't come out its shell much and that leads me to believe it's wild.

Michael Naz

Can we see pictures of Penny??? From your profile pic, she looks beautiful!
Here she is:
I understand, but my CB have dug under, fallen off rocks and scratched theirs shells up just like wild ones, several of my ornates are over 15 years and their shells looks worse than several wild ones I have. You said this one didn't come out its shell much and that leads me to believe it's wild.

She comes out when I hold her. She goes in her shell when she's surprised or high volume. Usually when I show people her she just hides in her shell, but I just quietly pick her up and she comes out. My previous post, Turtle Trust, was so that she'd trust me enough to come out when other people are around (which I guess is impossible).

Michael Naz

She's beautiful! When you make the enclosure... I wanna see pictures too! :):) I think Penny is a really cute name, by the way.
Thanks! We had named her Squirtle before, but then Pokemon Go came out (I liked Pokemon... before it was cool.) But I don't play PG, so when my friend came over he suggested the name.

Will send pics of the finished enclosure later today.