Florida Box Turtle: Picky Eater

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Awesome Florida Box Turtle! I can tell u every box turtle I've encountered can't resist a boiled egg(shell and all), boiled or steamed sweet potato, butternut squash, or carrots. Any kind of berry is a little taste of heaven and sprinkle some cut up greens on top with a few things that move(worms, supers, Dubia's, rollies, calci-worms, slugs, snails, cicadas, etc. ........getcha some of that! If your feeding it iceberg lettuce stop and keep it for your salad or burger because it doesn't have much nutritional value for your box turtle. Some of my guys eat an occasional reptomin pellet when it's soaked on top of the food but if I give it to them by itself they don't dig it too much. Just my experience. Just remember, it's been removed from an area that its known, to now new surroundings. May take it a few days to adjust.
Mine are strange. They won't eat egg but love reptomin. I'm beginning to think it's something to do with me - my redfoot won't eat egg either!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Mine are strange. They won't eat egg but love reptomin. I'm beginning to think it's something to do with me - my redfoot won't eat egg either!

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471697340.885249.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471697377.599077.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471697434.560620.jpg

Got alittle egg on the face? Brown eggs today! I don't think it has anything to do with you Lisa! What kid doesn't like mac n cheese? Well I got one, lol! I've got 2 girls that could eat it all day long, my other girl thinks it's so repulsive she does a gag reflux at the sight of it. I have 2 adult box turtles that won't touch banana, the other 5 think it's like the LEGO movie where everything is awesome. It's fun building that relationship and understanding with your tort/turtle! Although like I said, everyone one of my box turtles including juveniles love eggs.....so.....yep it's you Lisa ha,ha lol!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
View attachment 184247
View attachment 184248
View attachment 184249

Got alittle egg on the face? Brown eggs today! I don't think it has anything to do with you Lisa! What kid doesn't like mac n cheese? Well I got one, lol! I've got 2 girls that could eat it all day long, my other girl thinks it's so repulsive she does a gag reflux at the sight of it. I have 2 adult box turtles that won't touch banana, the other 5 think it's like the LEGO movie where everything is awesome. It's fun building that relationship and understanding with your tort/turtle! Although like I said, everyone one of my box turtles including juveniles love eggs.....so.....yep it's you Lisa ha,ha lol!
I have one boxie that won't eat bananas as well! Strange. Then there's my little male who loves greens. He eats them better than my Redfoot!

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Wait, what? No bananas? No eggs? Reptomin? A box turtle who loves greens? Alert the X files, Lisa's house is definitely a portal to an alternate dimension.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Wait, what? No bananas? No eggs? Reptomin? A box turtle who loves greens? Alert the X files, Lisa's house is definitely a portal to an alternate dimension.
My female won't touch greens. She's also the one that doesn't like bananas or strawberries. My male inhales greens. Interestingly, he also doesn't like strawberries. They both love blueberries though.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mine do not like eggs either. But they love strawberries that is why I grow my own I can feed the mushy ones to them with no complaints.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Ok, so I tried again with hard boiled egg today. To experiment all they got was hardboiled egg and plum. Both the box turtles and the redfoot. Results: everyone devoured the plum first. After eating the plum, my greens loving male box turtle began eating the egg! My female box turtle only ate the plum and no egg. Same with the redfoot. Though the redfoot kept sniffing it, apparently hoping it would turn into something else.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Ok, so I tried again with hard boiled egg today. To experiment all they got was hardboiled egg and plum. Both the box turtles and the redfoot. Results: everyone devoured the plum first. After eating the plum, my greens loving male box turtle began eating the egg! My female box turtle only ate the plum and no egg. Same with the redfoot. Though the redfoot kept sniffing it, apparently hoping it would turn into something else.
I'm not entirely surprised. The plum is sweet and therefore like candy to them. Who'd want a hard boiled egg after dessert?

Try mashing plum with the egg!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm not entirely surprised. The plum is sweet and therefore like candy to them. Who'd want a hard boiled egg after dessert?

I've tried it entirely on its own as well. They won't eat egg alone either. I've tried scrambling instead of hard boiled and that was a no also. It's fine with the box turtles since they eat bugs. But my redfoot won't eat live food.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

I just had a thought though. I wonder if mixing no sugar added applesauce in the scrambled or mashed egg might work? Might try that next time.