Ourdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I had a ton of old pressure treated deck boards that I got from my inlaws so I could build myself an outdoor enclosure, so I thought I would get on that today.
It's not nearly as wide as I would like but it'll have to do for now, the dimensions are 20" x 96". We don't have a huge yard so I didn't want to put a huge enclosure down until we finish building our fence and then I can move it. I'm just worried about the neighbourhoods kids messing with my tortoises so until the fence is built this is what I have.

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is a little on the narrow side, however, you could always make it longer. To keep little neighbor fingers from coming through the fence, you can tack up some chicken wire on the fence. I think its great that you are thinking about getting the tortoises outside.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It is very narrow because it's inbetween the fence and the walk way, but it's 8 feet long so should be good enough for them to get that fresh air they need and let them get some good roaming time in. I have been bringing them outside for hours after work every day. The neighbours on this side are the the worry, it's the neighbours in the other side where I eventually want to put the enclosure that I need to replace the fence for.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Good starter concept.

Build the shade roof high enough for them to feel secure and cool but out their reach. Add in some mulch and figure in the little houdini's claws can grip a skyscraper.

Your enclose doubles as a nice place to grow tortoise greens.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I haven't added any substrates or anything yet. I may consider making it longer though. It's just for one tortoise to spend a few hours a day in.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It'll work nicely until you can build a bigger one.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think it will work well to get your tort outside, until he moves to his penthouse :D. It will make him walk!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well, I just really want to get them outside as much as I can and as much as the dog crate was nice for that she just ends up ripping holes in the lawn. She just also paces back and forth all day because she can see beyond the bars also. I wish it was 4" wider (24") but it just won't fit in this space well. I figured the length would make up for how narrow it is. Once I build the fence on the other side I'll knock out the 20" board and make them 36" for extra width.

She spends nights indoors but will be outside from when I get home at work (which is usually 3pm) and I bring her in at 9:30pm when it gets dark.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
SnakeyeZ said:
Well, I just really want to get them outside as much as I can and as much as the dog crate was nice for that she just ends up ripping holes in the lawn. She just also paces back and forth all day because she can see beyond the bars also. I wish it was 4" wider (24") but it just won't fit in this space well. I figured the length would make up for how narrow it is. Once I build the fence on the other side I'll knock out the 20" board and make them 36" for extra width.

She spends nights indoors but will be outside from when I get home at work (which is usually 3pm) and I bring her in at 9:30pm when it gets dark.

Good show buddy ! ;)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Looks good and yes your area is quite good considering the length like you say. There is a lot of walking room for busy feet-they tend to go back and forth when busy any ways.

good start for outside time for now-nice to recycle some materials too.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks again. I think the length will be good for her to get some sun and exercise. The playpen I put them in right now is 4' x 4' in a perfect square or I can shape it differently also (2' x 6'). With baby on the way the other fence is going to have to wait till next Spring.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well I took some advice from a few of you and made it longer (Can't do much about how narrow it is). After letting my russian cruise around in it I realized she could probably use the extra space sometimes. It's two separate enclosures right now but I will be putting in a hinge/sliding door between the two so I can have it one large enclosure for when I have one tortoise outside or two smaller ones if I have both tortoises outside. I have to build the screen tops still and I need to grow the grass and vegitation in them.

I would have loved to just have two larger ones in a different area of the yard, but my wife wasn't too keen on where I wanted to put them lol. They would have taken up a large chunk of the yard also.

IMG_6790.jpg

IMG_6792.jpg

IMG_6793.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That looks great. They do like to walk and that is what they will be able to do. Sounds like it will be quite secure as well.
Maybe you could get some plants established on one side first, so they would last more than a day, lol

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I hope so! Lot's of room to walk from end to end.

It should be strong, pressure treated deck boards from my inlaws old deck. Good way to recycle the wood - and I personally LOVE the look of aged weather beaten wood. I also stapled screen on to the bottom so that grass and other greens can root properly but keep the tortoises inside the enclosure. Instead of capping the corners, I just nailed in a couple peices of wood that serve multiple purposes. Keeps the tortoises inside the enclosure, acts as a seat of I want to sit and watch them, and perfect for shade at different times of the day.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Just an update. The tortoises seem to enjoy the enclosures. Despite being a little on the narrow side I don't think the russian minds all that much - she appears to enjoy being outdoors.

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

IMG_6801.jpg

IMG_6802.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg

IMG_6870.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.