Russian Tortoise Outdoor Enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I just wanted to share a few new pictures of our outdoor tortoise enclosure. I originally had it half the length (8 feet) but I have the space so decided to double it as it wasn't a ton of room for our russian before.

523031_10151570425095077_642200076_23935528_718870148_n.jpg

156181_10151570424970077_642200076_23935527_347220262_n.jpg

Anyway it's 20 inches wide which isn't much but it's 16 feet long.

It hasn't been all that warm lately so I haven't had her out much but when I have she has been crusing up and down the entire length. I add the lid because our dogs like to go in there and dig and move around the drift wood lol. Also we got new neighbours with kids so I don't want their fingers between the fence boards.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That os cool and great use of space....I like the length...especially since torts more times than not like to pace....

I like the cover for protection from both the dog as well as little fingers....I believe I would east a really bushy plant in a good size pot and set a couple cut to size 2x4s on top of the end opposite the hide and set the bushy shady plant on top of that spot so as to add annoutside shady spot....as well as one right over the top of the hide to shade that hide....again, really do love the long space....:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice design. I like it. I think the plant idea is good too.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

It sure does make good use of that space. There is two hides on either end which she was spending alot of time in last year. Plus with all the grasses and weeds I had it in last year it was pretty thick. I planted some thistle and wild bird seed in there this year already and it's already coming up all over the place.

I like the idea of adding a bushy plant for shade.. I wish I didn't have to have a lid on it so I could incorperate it right into the enclosure.

The nice thing about it also is that I used all pressure treated left over boards from the inlaws deck which are about 20 years old. So really, aside from the screen, screws, latches and staples it was a pretty cheap build! lol

I'll be sure to post pictures of it when it's grown in.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I liked it before, and I like it even more now. I like the idea of perching a plant on one end as well.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks Lynne.

I took some pictures of her in there today... nice day out there so she will spend most of the afternoon in the sun.

wheezysmomma

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Hey Rich I FOUND you on the forum I had a feeling you were on here lol!! Funny part is how i found you lol i was looking up tort enclosures and saw the pic of your enclosure with your dog in the pic and recognized it from your FB page :p (its Tracy Z by the way) :)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
wheezysmomma said:
Hey Rich I FOUND you on the forum I had a feeling you were on here lol!! Funny part is how i found you lol i was looking up tort enclosures and saw the pic of your enclosure with your dog in the pic and recognized it from your FB page :p (its Tracy Z by the way) :)

Too funny... lol. Hey weren't you just in town? Didn't wanna stop by? lol.

wheezysmomma

5 Year Member
British Columbia
lol sorry yes i was i posted when and where i would be didn't hear any reaching out on your part :p maybe next time :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love the fact you used leftovers. So you can get in all the way along or only on the ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.