No power!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noved32

5 Year Member
Okay so we had a huge storm and power went out, I really didn't think it would take long to get back on but now we are on hour 14 and it looks like a few days before its back on!!!! So my Russian tort goes outside in my yard as I watch him on a normal day but I have kids and no power or water and am staying an hour away at inlaws... My question is ... We placed him infont of our huge picture window so he gets light..(in his normal home we just pushes it to the window) Its 100 degrees out so our house is hot.. Can i leave him there for the few days and just check on everyday ..or should I place him in a small 10-20 gal (which is a lot smaller them his normal home) and bring him up to inlaws so he has heat? Worried about changing homes but also worried that it isn't hot enough for the two or three days

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would not move him too close to the window...the window can create a rapid high intense heat when the sun shines into it....if your temps are warm during the day in the house then he should be fine....russians are adaptable to cooler temps at night (as long as you are not using the constant high humidity method ).

I bet he would be alright also if you brought him with you....he just may not be "himself" while away ....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You could always get those portable hand warmer thingies (official word) that they sell at military supply and camping stores to use.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would also get him out of the window. We have been have temps of 100 and in the window, well I close the blinds, it's too hot. Leave him home, away from the window, but where he can get lite from it and he should be fine.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
While I am not sure the house would get too hot for him, why even risk it? I would fear just how hot a large window could push the temps up to. Bring him to your in-laws where you can keep an eye on him. I know sometimes when areas have natural disasters like this, you also have a rash of break ins. For peace of mind, I'd have him with me.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I read and hear about these disasters on the forum and the news a lot of times and ask myself why more folks don’t have generators in these areas prone to such happenings? I know the anxiety first hand of losing power and stressing about all the torts and incubating eggs. So I sat down and made a list that would carry me 30 days with no outside resources, assembled those items and Wa~la ….. Took the edge off , and the funny thing I live I the largest city in Ca. I guess never hurts to be prepared eh ?
Dj had a great idea with the hand warmers……just use some insulation (ex: newspaper) over top the “ heat pads” …..to prevent “ hot spots” .
Good luck …..
JD~

noved32

5 Year Member
Thank you all for ur comments... I'm happy to say that the power came back on last night so we rushed home to put everything back in order, his enclosure was about 89 and he looked happy to see me... Lol so now all well again lol

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Yea Good News ...... :)

Now time to write a letter to Santa for that Generator!.... :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would like to know however, where you live that it is 100 during the day and yet so cold at night a Russian needs heat on it. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.