Ok to plant opuntia in enclosure

mini_max

Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
I got a nice little opuntia cactus and I'm wondering if I could plant it directly in my enclosure. Those little spines are kind of nasty, but I know the pads of this cactus are edible. Will the spines harm my Russian? Will he be smart enough to avoid?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They seem to manage them fine, however are you sure you want to risk losing your cactus?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
They seem to manage them fine, however are you sure you want to risk losing your cactus?
Jacqui is right. Cactus + tortoise= 0 cactus. I would suggest putting a tort proof barrier around cactus and let tort have pads that overhang .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some species eat the pads with spines and all, and show no ill effect. I have never seen this attempted with russians. Might be fine, might not.

I can tell you that a cactus planted in a tortoise enclosures will usually not last long.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven on experience with cactus growing in with the torts. I just wouldn't do it unless it was spineless. I don't want to cause a vet bill form a spine doing some possible damage. Just my opinion. Also, like they said, the cactus won't last long.