Cold Climate Spine-Less Opuntia

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I'm posting this just for information to let people know that there are many types of opuntia that can survive cold wet winters. I grow these spine-less types east of Washington DC.sl 1.jpg sl 2.jpg sl 3.jpg sl 4.jpg sl 5.jpg sl 6.jpg sl 7.jpgI don't know their names but they survive here planted in the ground or in pots without any type of protection over winter. I also grow several with long spines that the new growth don't start getting spines until the pads are 8 inches or larger in length, which I'm feeding now.Here is one group of the cactus with spinestwo tone.jpgThe best part is I accumulated these by stopping and asking if I could have some pads or from people that wanted plants moved off their property.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont know how you do it. The ones I got a couple years ago never last one winter planted in the ground. I even put a bunch of wood chips on them for some protection. When we had sunny days that had sun from approx. 11, 12-4.
I did plant a few in containers and put them in the unheated portion of the tort shed in the windows and they have lasted (not thrived) now a couple winters but not a lot of growth.
Can you fill us in on where you plant them and the conditions of the locations during winter. All sun, some sun, wind block etc
I know of one kind that will survive our winters. I dont know the name but they are very spiney very early and grow low to the ground spreading out more then up.
Yours look great. Can't believe how well they do for you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
In cold weather water sparingly for best results.