1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Cold Climate Spine-Less Opuntia

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Turtulas-Len, May 24, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Turtulas-Len

Turtulas-Len Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
    I'm posting this just for information to let people know that there are many types of opuntia that can survive cold wet winters. I grow these spine-less types east of Washington DC. sl 1.jpg sl 2.jpg sl 3.jpg sl 4.jpg sl 5.jpg sl 6.jpg sl 7.jpg I don't know their names but they survive here planted in the ground or in pots without any type of protection over winter. I also grow several with long spines that the new growth don't start getting spines until the pads are 8 inches or larger in length, which I'm feeding now.Here is one group of the cactus with spines two tone.jpg The best part is I accumulated these by stopping and asking if I could have some pads or from people that wanted plants moved off their property.
    EllieMay likes this.
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I dont know how you do it. The ones I got a couple years ago never last one winter planted in the ground. I even put a bunch of wood chips on them for some protection. When we had sunny days that had sun from approx. 11, 12-4.
    I did plant a few in containers and put them in the unheated portion of the tort shed in the windows and they have lasted (not thrived) now a couple winters but not a lot of growth.
    Can you fill us in on where you plant them and the conditions of the locations during winter. All sun, some sun, wind block etc
    I know of one kind that will survive our winters. I dont know the name but they are very spiney very early and grow low to the ground spreading out more then up.
    Yours look great. Can't believe how well they do for you.
    Turtulas-Len likes this.
  3. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    In cold weather water sparingly for best results.
    Turtulas-Len likes this.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    This is good advice. There are some winters my potted cacti don't get watered all winter.
    Turtulas-Len likes this.