Odd skin condition or normal shedding?

distancewilltell

Location (City and/or State)
N Ca
Looking for expert advice. I'm not sure if this is normal shedding I've notice on my leopards neck or something I should be concerned with? S/he is approx. 1.5 yrs old weighs 150 grams. I keep him in a closed chamber with the humidity over 80%. My temps are: basking-95, cooler side-86, night-82. I use a RHP and I just replaced his UVB tube. I use coco coir as a substrate and I try to provide a varied diet of fresh weeds supplemented with Mazuri and a cuttle bone. He had already pyramided when I acquired him and despite my best efforts to minimize it I don't see much improvement. Oh almost forgot! He gets daily half hour soaks. He hated them at first but loves them now.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Kasia

Poland
Looking for expert advice. I'm not sure if this is normal shedding I've notice on my leopards neck or something I should be concerned with? S/he is approx. 1.5 yrs old weighs 150 grams. I keep him in a closed chamber with the humidity over 80%. My temps are: basking-95, cooler side-86, night-82. I use a RHP and I just replaced his UVB tube. I use coco coir as a substrate and I try to provide a varied diet of fresh weeds supplemented with Mazuri and a cuttle bone. He had already pyramided when I acquired him and despite my best efforts to minimize it I don't see much improvement. Oh almost forgot! He gets daily half hour soaks. He hated them at first but loves them now.
View attachment 189488 View attachment 189489
My Nini had similar stuff on Baytril. He had an allergic reaction and rubed his neck and back side of front legs against his shell. He rubbed so hard that skin tore and got open wounds. On your second pic we see a glimpse of the front leg and it is on there as well. He is very itchy and probably is doing this to himself. Did he come in contact with any chemicals - creams, ointments or something that might trigger an allergic reaction? Ants? Spiders? Anything that pops to your mind? Some neck wounds are partly healed, when did you notice that there is something wrong? Ever noticed him rubbing against his shell?

Last edited:

Kasia

Poland
My Nini had similar stuff on Baytril. He had an allergic reaction and rubed his neck and back side of front legs against his shell. He rubbed so hard that skin tore and got open wounds. On your second pic we see a glimpse of the front leg and it is on there as well. He is very itchy and probably is doing this to himself. Did he come in contact with any chemicals - creams, ointments or something that might trigger an allergic reaction? Ants? Spiders? Anything that pops to your mind? Some neck wounds are partly healed, when did you notice that there is something wrong? Ever noticed him rubbing against his shell?
DSCN0555.JPG

Kasia

Poland
Found this pic from "not as severe as it gets" stage - eventually skin on the neck tore in 2 or 3 places and left scarring similar to yours. Leggie is exposed for the pic as well - in the worst period skin on the neck and the exposed leg part looked alike.

Last edited:

distancewilltell

N Ca
Thank you for the responses. I was thinking allergic reaction too. I noticed it after I changed the substrate from the coir to reptibark. I thought that had caused it so I cleaned out all the bark wiped down the enclosure let it air out then put all new coir back in. The peeling and that callous looking thing cleared up but now it's back. That was about two months ago. The only other thing I can think of is I will occasionally put coconut oil on his shell. I haven't noticed that the reaction is linked to that but I've stopped just in case.

Kasia

Poland
Thank you for the responses. I was thinking allergic reaction too. I noticed it after I changed the substrate from the coir to reptibark. I thought that had caused it so I cleaned out all the bark wiped down the enclosure let it air out then put all new coir back in. The peeling and that callous looking thing cleared up but now it's back. That was about two months ago. The only other thing I can think of is I will occasionally put coconut oil on his shell. I haven't noticed that the reaction is linked to that but I've stopped just in case.
Maybe try keeping him on paper towels for a while and see if it helps (2-3 weeks). There is a possibility that the bedding you use (cococoir) has additives to protect and preserve it better and some batches may be irritant to the little guy. My second thought is pesticide in the food - where do you get your weeds from? Store bought, home grown or harvested from the area near by? Poor little shell, hope he will get better soon I keep my fingers crossed for him. :)

Last edited: