Skin shedding

TerryTerrapin

Location (City and/or State)
Ireland
I have a (roughly) 6mth old male mississippi map, had him for the past 3 months. Recently (last 3weeks ish) he's started shedding more and more, especially around his neck. He's also gone through a bit of a growth spurt and both looking for and eating more food. I have him on reptomin pellets, as a 3 month old he ate 2-3 a day, then went to 4, now can happily eat 8 and the odd bit of romaine lettuce. I haven't noticed any shell shedding but it is certainly growing and developing ridges on the spine.

Tank details: 48 litres water, maintained at 25-26 Celsius (77-79F) Eheim pick up 45 filter, water changed and treated with API stress coat 2-3wkly, basks under reptiglo 2.0 UVB

there's no great change in behaviour. I notice he's stronger and when I take him out of the tank he's braver and hides from me less.

Any advice appreciated! image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a cute turtle!

Here's a nice article by Mary Hopson at the Turtle Puddle:

Help! My Turtle is Shedding!

What's normal?

Many aquatic turtles regularly shed the outer layer of their shells. The thin outer lamina of each scute (section) loosens and falls off. This is perfectly normal and should be allowed to progress naturally, with no intervention.

But what about skin?

While snakes and lizards shed their skin regularly, turtles have a slower growth rate and do not shed in the same manner. Some small amount of visible shedding is not alarming, but any skin shedding that is prolonged or extensive is not really normal. Many owners overfeed their turtles and overheat their enclosures, both of which can lead to shedding. Since the problem is common, many keepers mistakenly think that it is fine. Excessive shedding is not usually a serious problem, but still should not be considered "normal."

1. Overfeeding causes rapid growth, resulting is excessive skin shedding. Since overfeeding has been associated with kidney problems and other health issues in future years, it is best to avoid it.

2. Overheating, especially in the basking area, can damage the skin and cause shedding. Use a low-wattage bulb, and place it so that the temperature does not exceed 85F. in the warmest area for subtropical/temperate species (e.g. red-eared sliders and painted turtles) or 90F for tropical aquatics (e.g. Malayan box turtles.)

3. Over-supplementation with vitamin A can cause the skin to thicken and shed. Excessive vitamin A is toxic and can damage the liver. Most cases of severe hypervitaminosis A are caused by vitamin A injections, often as a result of a misdiagnosis. It is also possible, but less likely, to overdose with oral supplements. Do not use supplements more than once per week. Using aquatic plants and/or dark green and red lettuces in the diet will provide beta carotene which converts to vitamin A without the possibility of overdose.

4. Insufficient vitamin A (or beta carotene) in the diet can also damage the skin. In this case, the skin is usually thin and reddened. The eyes are also likely to be affected if a vitamin A deficiency is present. Feeding dark green and red lettuces, squash, carrots, occasional fish, occasional egg yolks, or commercial turtle foods should prevent hypovitaminosis A.

5. Fungal infections can cause skin shedding or mimic the appearance of shedding skin. Place the turtle in a mild saline solution. Salt will kill surface fungus, but deeper infections will need further care. Make sure the turtle spends time completely dry. The water should be kept clean. If a fungal infection does not respond to these improved habitat, seek veterinary help.

6. Extremely high ammonia levels in the water can damage the outer layer of skin and cause shedding. RES are tolerant of high ammonia levels while map turtles are not, so this problem is more likely to occur with Graptemys species. It's important to remember that high ammonia levels discovered *after* the shedding may be caused by the excessive amount of skin in the water, rather than the cause of the problem. For a filtration system that is easy to maintain and produces excellent quality water, visit this link: One effective setup for aquatic turtles in small tanks

7. Antibiotic treatment, especially injected Baytril, can cause skin shedding in the week following the treatment. This situation should right itself in a week or two without any intervention.

8. Some serious conditions such as myxedema or viral liver disease can present with skin shedding. These would require veterinary care.

Conclusion: Wild turtles do not tend to shed skin in any pronounced or prolonged way. This suggests that excessive shedding is often husbandry related. Also, many very experienced keepers have maintained animals in excellent health, with normal growth rates, that *never* shed skin in any noticeable way over a period of several decades. This would indicate that skin shedding is not an essential component of growth. Although skin shedding may not indicate serious illness, it is best to find and correct the husbandry problem. Check everything about your overall husbandry. Keep the vivarium clean and well lighted. Make sure you are providing a varied diet with lots of calcium, a good basking area, and correct temperatures for the species of turtle you have.

© 1999 Mary Hopson, Anchorage, AK
This information sheet may be freely copied and distributed.

TerryTerrapin

Ireland
Thanks Yvonne, I read that article too on my way through google. I think based on the facts and his sudden growth (not that I know much about MM growth rates) I am more than likely just over feeding him. He'll always look for the food when he sees me nearby - but should I start feeding him a little less regardless??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's the thing about water turtles. They very quickly learn who the food god is, and they put on the I'm-Starving-To-Death act. He has you trained!

TerryTerrapin

Ireland
That's it to a tee! Ugh I hope I haven't put his health too much at risk now! :( is the solution as simple as feeding him less from now on? Should I get a checkup from a vet just to be sure?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You can... but the theme seems to be that many 'herp vets' don't know much about torts, and can do more harm than good :(
I would feed him a bit less :D... he's not REALLY starving :p