Skin Shedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi, my aldabra has some skin shedding since the day I adopted him.

20120901_140219.jpg

20120901_135734.jpg

While I know that it is common for torto to have skin shedding, looks like it occurs mostly on my aldabra's entire neck and also his entire face looks very dry and starts to shed a bit, too. Is it normal? Or is it due to too dry environment?

The humidity here is constant at 50 - 70%, and while I provide him with some humid hide, it looks like he always prefers to stay out of it.
I always soak him every day for 1 hour and spray him at least twice per day too.

Thank you guys.

Vincentdhr

5 Year Member
I am not sure about the skin problem, but you shouldn't have the tortoises of different species together. They could pass pathogens to each other and you won't be able to see the symptoms until it is too late.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Vitamin E oil in a spray bottle with warm water helps. Also bathe him twice a week in ShedEase until it's all gone, then he/she should have an easier time shedding next time without it being so visually dominate. Oh and the Two Baths a week should NOT count as his/her Soak times during the week. Basically if you Soak him 3 Times a week then it will be 5 times a week until his skin is 'normal'... =-]

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Vincentdhr said:
I am not sure about the skin problem, but you shouldn't have the tortoises of different species together. They could pass pathogens to each other and you won't be able to see the symptoms until it is too late.

They sharing time together only some time after soaking and for some photo sessions.
Thanks for the notice though :)

tyrs4u said:
Vitamin E oil in a spray bottle with warm water helps. Also bathe him twice a week in ShedEase until it's all gone, then he/she should have an easier time shedding next time without it being so visually dominate. Oh and the Two Baths a week should NOT count as his/her Soak times during the week. Basically if you Soak him 3 Times a week then it will be 5 times a week until his skin is 'normal'... =-]

Thank you, I will try to find the vit E oil. But I don't think the shedease is available in my country. Is there alternative to this?

tyrs4u said:
Looks like a red foot and a marginated...

Yes they are :)

This makes me wonder though. To spray vitamin E on his face, is this okay if some spray gets into his eyes?

Instead of vitamin E, can I use olive oil or baby oil for the skin?

Status
Not open for further replies.