Plastron Shedding Normal...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anmiller0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So-Cal
Hello my name is Amber I am the tortoise mommy of Yoshi a 3 year old marginated tortoise.

I want to start off by thanking everybody, a little over a month ago Yoshi was sick and I didn't know what was wrong with him. I logged on here and got some opinions and decided to rush Yoshi to emergency hospital at 10 oclock at night. Thanks to you guys we found out Yoshi had SEPTICEMIA and I was able to get him on medication and take him to a tortoise vet. He made a full recovery and has been doing great, so thank you all for that.

Well now I am a super paranoid mommy, and every time something happens I think Yoshi has a killer disease. So if you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Last night a section of skin came off of Yoshis plastron. He did not look like he was in pain, there was no blood. I just want to know if this is normal? I have heard of tortoise shedding but I thought it was in tiny amounts that you cant even notice. This was a giant flake, and about as thin as a potato chip. Is this normal, or can this have something to do with his recent illness?

Yes, I did call my vets office as soon as they opened this morning, but my vet wont be in until tomorrow. I asked to talk to another vet but they said she was the only one who specialized in torts.

I just want to make sure my tortoise is very healthy, he is like my baby. If I am doing anything wrong I WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Amber:

No, tortoise's keratin doesn't shed like it does in water turtles. It probably has something to do with his septicemia. That part of the shell might have died. But not to worry. They are very resilient and over time it will repair itself. Can I see a picture of it?

anmiller0

5 Year Member
So-Cal
Give me just a minute to upload some pics. My boyfriend said the same thing that the area that was infected might have died, but that its self sounds terrifying to me. I dont like the way his belly looks where the skin came off, but the piece its self just likes like dead skin. Like I said theres no blood.

OMg sorry I am taking so long the power went out in the whole city in the middle of me uploading pics.

Ok the red on his belly is from when he was sick. I don't like the way the area looks where the piece of skin came off. It just dosent look normal to me. But the rest of his shell is perfectly fine its just his belly...

Like I said before I called his vet and she is not there to day, I do plan I speaking with her as soon as she is in tomorrow. I just want to know from you guys how serious this is.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 45
Status
Not open for further replies.